Chapter 10-I'm Sorry

"Y/n, where are you going?" Your best friend, Emma ran up to you as you walked through the garden. "Not your hideaway again, I hope?" You didn't reply and kept walking. Emma followed. "You can't keep hiding from this you know. She'll figure it out eventually. The bird is smart."

"Well she doesn't know now and that's enough for me." You said simply and continued walking, now leaving Emma behind.

Your friend sighed and walked back to the house. "Emma, is something wrong?" Miss Peregrine blocked her path to the stairs.

"I'm fine, just annoyed." She moved to go around the ymbryne but the woman blocked her path again.

"With?"

Emma knew she wouldn't be allowed to leave without giving her headmistress information first. But it didn't have to be the full truth. "Y/n has had this crush on a boy for ages. But she refuses to do anything about it. She's just really upset and doesn't think he likes her back."

Miss Peregrine nodded in understanding. "Ah, I see. And where is Y/n?"

"Her hideout. It's along the cliffs, hidden by a waterfall. But I'd wait for her to come home if I were you. She won't be in the mood to talk now.

Emma excused herself to her room and Miss Peregrine went outside on the porch and took a seat on a chair there. She sat there for forty six minutes, and found herself unable the think of anything but you. As much as she hated to admit it, the ymbryne had always liked you. And it kind of hurt to hear you had a crush on someone else.

"Miss Peregrine?" A voice snapped her out of her thoughts. When did you get here? "Are you alright? You seemed out of it."

Miss P stood and gave a curt nod. "Yes, of course. But I need to talk with you if you don't mind?"

"Of course, what's up?" You asked as the two of you entered the house and made your way towards the stairs.

"Emma told me about a boy?" It sounded more like a question than intended and you looked confused. "The one you have a crush on?" She said.

"Oh." Was all you could say for a moment. "Oh!" You changed directions to walk towards Emma's room. "I'm going to kill her." But Miss Peregrine grabbed your wrist and nearly dragged you back to your room.

"We'll be having none of that, thank you." She shut the door behind both of you. "Now I've been told you're really upset and don't think he likes you?" You sighed and nodded. "What makes you think that?"

"Well sh- he doesn't talk to me much, he's always busy." You stumbled and of course Miss P noticed it.

"And I assume he's a normal?"

"Yes. Well, no. Uhm..."

"It's not a boy at all, is it?" Miss Peregrine decided to focus on your small mistake from earlier. You were silent for a long moment. "I'll take that as my answer."

You stared at the floor, unwilling to look up at her. "I'm sorry."

"What on earth for? You don't think I actually care, do you? It doesn't matter who you love, you're still the same person." You looked up now, surprised by her reaction. Miss Peregrine pulled you in for a hug when she noticed you on the verge of crying.

"Thank you." You nearly whispered.

"Don't thank me, it's alright dear." She pulled away and wiped a stray tear from your cheek, giving you a reassuring smile. "I'm afraid I need to prepare dinner now, I'll see you shortly, Y/n." You hummed and just stood there until she left.

—————

A few days later Miss Peregrine was walking by the parlor when she heard yelling. She paused by the door and started listening in, despite knowing she shouldn't.

"It's not my fault you're stupid." Enoch grumbled.

"Oh be quiet, you know very well why Y/n doesn't want to tell her!" Emma yelled.

"She's a pussy!" Enoch nearly yelled.

"You both know I'm standing right here, right? I can hear you." You sounded annoyed.

"Okay then, fuck wad, listen to this." Enoch started. "Miss P would never kick you out. I doubt she would even care about you liking her. Worst comes to worst, she doesn't feel that same and it never gets mentioned again. But she won't hate you."

"But what if you're wrong?"

Miss Peregrine couldn't believe her ears. She moved away from the door before she did anything stupid. And retreated to the porch for some fresh air. "What a nightmare." She spoke aloud to herself.

"What is?" She looked up to find Horace standing there with a book in his hand.

"Nothing dear, go back to your book." He clearly didn't believe her, but left to go sit amongst the topiaries anyway. It was always one of his favorite places to read.

A few hours later, reset had just finished. "Y/n." Miss Peregrine said, pausing to wait for all the children to go inside as you both stood there. "Is it true?" She said once the door was shut and they were all gone.

"Pardon?" You were a bit confused.

"That you like me. Is it true?"

"I-I'm sorry." Was all you could bring yourself to say after a long silence. Your head hung and at some point you started crying. Miss Peregrine brought you into her arms in an attempt to comfort you.

"Darling, stop crying, it's alright, it's perfectly fine." You didn't listen to her and continued to cry into her shoulder. "Y/n, love, look at me. Please?" You pulled away from her to find her smiling and averted your eyes. "Y/n." You glanced at her but quickly looked away again. "Y/n, what on earth makes you think I don't feel the same?"

Now you looked up at her to find she was grinning at you. "You're serious? No... you're-" You cut yourself off and shook your head. Perhaps you were just going crazy.

"I'm serious." She pulled you back in for another hug, holding you close to her. Maybe it'd turn out alright after all.

—————

Gay