Chapter 8

3rd Person P.O.V

While the group were getting some much-needed sleep, they were unaware that the Sanderson Sisters had survived the furnace incident, as the magic of the candle was the only thing protecting them and keeping them alive until sunrise. Also unknown to the kids was that the sisters had also captured Jay and Ice. They were unaware of all of this as Allison eventually woke up, with Max waking up moments after.

"Hi." Max said.

"Hi. Oh my God. It's 5:00! My parents are gonna kill me. I should go." Allison said when she saw the time displayed on Max's clock, so she got up and put her shoes and cardigan on.

"I wish you could stay." Max said. Instead of answering, Allison looked over at the bed, where Dani and Thackery were still asleep.

"Poor Binx." Allison said.

"Yeah, poor Binx. We owe him a lot. Look, could we find some way to help him?" Max asked.

"The book? The witches used it to put the spell on him, maybe there's a way in here to take it off." Allison said.

"I don't know, Binx told us not to open it." Max pointed out.

"Well, the witches are dead, what harm could it do?" Allison reminded him.

"Okay, just be careful." Max said. Allison picked up the book and sat down beside Max.

"I will. Hold my hand." Allison said. Max took her hand, and the two opened the book, both somehow completely unaware of the bright orange beam emitting from the book, revealing their location to the Sanderson sisters. Not only that, but the beam also attracted the attention of a certain immortal white witch. Rowena hadn't been able to get much sleep that night, due to knowing she only had a few hours left before the woman she loved would disappear once more. But when she saw the orange beam appear in the sky, she knew it would only mean trouble, so she got herself ready and headed out to find the source of the beam, knowing this was something she had to face, even though it did give her a final opportunity to see Sarah. Meanwhile, back at the Dennison household, Max and Allison were still looking through the book.

"Oh, listen to this. Only a circle of salt can protect thy victims from my power." Allison read from the book. Moments later, Thackery jumped onto the book and slammed it shut.

"We were just trying to help you." Allison said.

"Well don't! Nothing good can come from this book. Got it?!" Thackery questioned. All of them were unaware that the Sanderson sisters had found the house.

"Maybe we should go now." Max said.

"Okay." Allison agreed. They left the room and headed for the stairs, although Max did pause to check inside his parents' room.

"Mom? Dad? They're still not home, that's weird. They must be having a great time." Max said.

"I don't know, something's not right. I'd feel a lot safer walking home if we had some salt." Allison said. They made it to the kitchen, and Max started looking through the cupboard for some salt. Luckily, he found some and dropped the container down to Allison, who caught it and read the side.

"Well, what's it say?" Max asked, getting down from the stool he'd been standing on.

"Oh, it says to form a circle of salt to protect from zombies, witches, and old boyfriends." Allison answered.

"And what about new boyfriends?" Max asked. The two moved closer and were about to kiss, but a loud crash from upstairs stopped them.

"Dani." Max said. The two quickly headed back upstairs, with Allison still carrying the salt. They went into Max's room, only to see Dani still asleep under the covers. Then, Allison noticed something off.

"Max, the book is gone! I'm telling you, something's weird." Allison said. Max went over to the bed.

"Dani, wake up!" Max grabbed the covers and pulled them back.

"Trick or treat!" It hadn't been Dani under the covers, but Sarah Sanderson instead, causing Max to jump back. Winifred and Mary came out from the closet. Winifred had the book, and Mary had Dani and Thackery. When the book opened its eye, Max jumped back with a yell, only to get hit by a ball of energy from the book, causing him to trip backwards over his drum kit, sending both him and it to the ground.

"Boy down." Sarah laughed. Thinking fast, Allison formed a circle of salt around herself.

"Salt! What a clever little white witch. But it will not save your friends. Come sisters, the candle's magic is almost spent, and dawn approaches." Winifred said. Using a blast that destroyed the top window of Max's room, the sisters flew away into the night, taking Dani and Thackery with them. Allison, who had been knocked back by the blast, quickly got up and went over to help Max.

"Max! Are you okay? Come on, get up!" Allison said.

"Where's Dani?" Mac asked, although he had a sinking feeling he already knew the answer, and the look on Allison's face confirmed it for him.

"Come little children, I'll take thee away, into a land of enchantment. Come little children, the time's come to play, here in my garden of magic." The two then heard Sarah singing, and saw the children of Salem begin walking down the street, heading for the Sanderson cottage.

"Hey! Hey you guys! Don't listen to her!" Max shouted, but the children didn't hear him due to being in a trance from Sarah's singing.

"Max, I figured it out." Allison said.

"What?" Max questioned.

"Winifred said "The candle's magic will soon be spent, a dawn approaches." The black flame candle only brought them back for this one Halloween night. And unless they can steal the lives of children, when the sun comes up, they're dust." Allison explained.

"Yeah, but how can we make the sun come up? They've got Dani. We need a miracle. And none of the adults we've told have believed us about the witches." Max said, looking dejected.

"Wait, there's one person who will believe us. Rowena. She has a history with the Sanderson Sisters. If she helps us, that will at least remove Sarah from the problem. So if we're lucky, we'll only have to deal with Winifred and Mary." Allison told him.

"But we don't know if she'll still be awake, or where she lives." Max pointed out. Allison looked down at the street.

"I don't think we need to worry about that." Allison said.

"Why not?" Max asked.

"Because she's right there." Allison answered. Max looked to where she was pointing, and true enough, Rowena was stood on the opposite side of the street to his house. Then, to their shock, Rowena levitated into the air and flew over to them. Unlike the Sanderson Sisters, she didn't need a broom or any other object to aid in her flight.

"We don't have long until sunrise, so we need to get going. Grab what you need and meet me at the car. You can explain your plan on the way." Rowena told them, before flying back down to the street. Max and Allison quickly hurried to the Dennisons' car and got in, closely followed by Rowena. Both teens were relieved that Rowena was willing to help them. Now all they could do was hope that they were able to save Dani and Thackery, as well as stop the Sanderson sisters from carrying out their plan.