Amelia

Finally! It's finished!

Everyone, I apologize for taking too long in updating. I had a small creative blockage, so I decided to wait for episode 3. I particularly wanted to see how Moxxie's relationship with his father was like, as I'd been planning to add him later on. 

I'm happy to say that after watching it, I know where I want to go from here. For the time being, though, just enjoy this next chapter.

—*HB*—

Striker's stomach sank when another—seemingly more painful—cramp made his wife wince. 

Jane removed her covers, but contrary to expectations, the area between her legs remained dry. Her water hadn't broken.

Then why...?

Another contraction.

"What's the matter?" Striker looked down. "Yer water's not broken yet..."

"Don't tell me!" Jane winced, her claws sinking into Striker's arm. "Something's wrong...!"

Striker quickly, yet carefully, helped his wife walk out of Brash's cave and into their own, where he lay her down on their straw bed. For once, he was glad he'd accepted the pillows Moxxie brought for her. The Hellwalker placed them on her back as she took slow, steady breaths like Amelia had taught her when Jake was born.

The contractions were mild and not very frequent, so they still had time to figure out what to do.

"Mom? Dad?" 

Oh, shit. Jake stook in the entrance, rubbing his eyes. 

"J-Jake, sweetie..." Jane bit her lip to hold back a gasp of pain.

"Mommy, what's wrong?"

"Stay back, Jake!" Striker ordered sternly.

"What's goin' on, dad?"

"Boy, I need ya to bring water and towels now!" Despite the tension in the air, Jake did as told.  

Striker stroked his wife's hand, shushing and reassuring her that everything would be fine, but he was worried. Why is she in labor this early? Instead, if she's in labor, why didn't her water break?

"Ye're doin' fine, doll. Ye're okay..." 

Jane's pained expression said otherwise. 

"It's starting to hurt... And the water hasn't broken yet!" her grip on his arm tightened. Striker winced. "S-Sorry, love..."

"It's okay...That's nothin' compared to gettin' stuck in a bear trap..." Striker winced at the nails piercing his arm but managed to smile. 

"C-Clayton, I don't...! FUCK! Something's wrong...!"

"Don't worry, doll. Let me help ya." Striker placed his hands on Jane's abdomen and purred, letting the magic flow into the womb. His wife relaxed a bit, but she still seemed to be in pain. 

"Clayton, I don't think it'll be enough this time...! We should...a doctor..."

"Jane, I know ye're in pain, but ye can't be serious. There's no way I'm takin' ye anywhere in this state!" 

"Clayton, the water's not broken, but I'm still getting contractions! What if the baby is in trouble?" 

"I can keep easin' the pain. The healin' spell might fix whatever's happenin' in there." 

"A 'might' is not enough this time, Clayton! Think about the baby!" Jane snapped unintentionally. "If the water doesn't break soon, he might suffocate or worse! We need an expert opinion this time around!"