Prologue

"You should have jumped twice, once to the left and once to the front!" Helaena warns me. "Now you've lost."

I look at her, perplexed. It was the third time we had played. The first round I won, but Helaena won the last two games, beating me. Ironically, the rules were explained to me before each game, but I never understood.

"But why did I lose? I repeated the last steps you made moments ago."

"No, I took one step left and one step back. You took one back and one to the right." She reasons, arranging the folds of her dress.

I blink, completely oblivious. The rules consist of reproducing the steps of the player before you, plus the first steps from the beginning of the game. Anyway, I could have sworn I'd done exactly what she did.

Our brothers were watching us, from diametrically opposite corners. Aemond divided his attention between us and the knife in his hands, while Aegon seemed to have been paying attention to everything that had been stated earlier.

"Yes, Daemera. You lost. Just admit it and everyone goes about their business." He remarked, smiling mischievously.

At this retort, I frown, and Aemond's full attention is caught.

"I bet you weren't even paying attention." I spat at him, rolling my eyes.

"Of course I was! That's why I commented." He continues, still grinning.

"Maybe she simply forgot the steps." Aemond also blended in. "You wouldn't even get the rules."

Aegon looks at him with contempt. "As much of a fool as you? I don't think so." He challenges him.

Aemond shoves his knife into his belt, approaching Aegon.

"I-I think the game is over." Helaena says, looking uncomfortably at the ground. I take a few steps forward, raising my voice to both of them.

"Stop. It's just a game. You're getting angry over something stupid."

They both stare at me. Aemond snorts, and Aegon looks at me with the same amount of disgust. "Whatever."

Aegon and I have never really gotten along, but we haven't shown it. Ever since Aemond lost his eye years ago, Aegon had been making jokes about him, despite my mother's protests. Aemond didn't seem to take them to heart, and Aegon didn't bother to see if our brother felt bad. All while Helaena and I watched silently.

That is, until at some point, Aegon's unintelligent comments got on my nerves one day. I rushed over, slapping him. Later, a cascade of insults to him followed, while defending Aemond. He said he didn't need to be defended, but I did it anyway. For that, it took Ser Criston to separate us, and Mother to punish us both.

Since then, I have become closer to Aemond, from whom I have also learned to ignore Aegon and his comments. Helaena unintentionally grew closer to Aegon, and now I firmly believe that the only person who has been able to put up with Aegon since then is Helaena and her alone. They have grown close, surprisingly. However, in our brothers' many conflicts, Helaena never interfered and advised me to do the same.

"Yeah, roll your eyes and run. That's all you know how to do." I challenge him too, watching him turn around, approaching with heavy steps.

When he's only less than two meters away, Aemond steps in front of me, and Helaena grabs Aegon by the arm.

"I advise you to stay back, brother." He says, lowering his voice.

''Step aside, Aemond. This is between me and Daemera.''

''One more step and you'll be tongue-tied,'' Aemond threatens, sticking the tip of his sword to his neck.

''Aegon...Enough.'' Helaena pulls him by the sleeve. He looks at her, at me, and then at Aemond. Then he storms back to the castle. Aemond retreats too, to the opposite corner of the courtyard, leaving us in an awkward state of confusion.

''They've gone too far again...It's too much, isn't it? Helaena-''

I see her looking up at the stone balcony of the castle. When I follow her gaze, I see Mother retreating inside as well, followed by her father, Otto Hightower. She most likely saw the whole scene. After making herself invisible, Helaena looks at me again.

''How long has she been there?'' I ask. I thought maybe she was observed Mother for longer. Usually, she notices things others wouldn't even think of.

''For a while. She saw what there was to see.''

''That we fight non-stop? It wasn't news.''

''Not that. She just made the decision she thought was the right one.'' She tells me, looking at me with a blank stare.