VIII

''Lord Cregan-''

He interrupts me with a harsh, dry, gale-force cough. At the sound, which takes us both by surprise, we flinch. After a few seconds, he stops, clearing his throat.

''Excuse me, coughing is absolutely killing me. No tincture will cure me.''

''There are more effective cures at King's Landing. Or the Dragonstone Maesters. Only if you are benevolent enough to travel there.''

Lord Stark looks at me long, his eyes darkening suddenly. ''Lady Targaryen, what exactly did you wish to see me about?''

''I would have wanted you to explain your absence at the Dragonstone meeting. It is not necessary, lest your ears be misheard.''

Now Sara's gaze darkened. Both her gaze and his will become serious. ''What meeting?''

They didn't know.

''Lord Cerwyn represented you. He said he was there for your safety.''

Sara and Cregan looked at each other. With large strides, he walks over to a long table, which I didn't even notice, sitting down at the head of the table.

''What did I have to show up at Dragonstone for?''

I look at both him and Sara. He's waiting for an answer. Since he was here and not there, it meant he didn't know what it was about. And that left two unknowns: either he had sent Cerwyn in his place as his representative, or Cerwyn was the first to find out and kept it a secret from him. And now, the second possibility was the more plausible.

''What is this meeting about?'' He repeated, left without patience or strength.

''The war begins. Rhaenyra claims her throne, and she needs help. Your help.'' I say, leaving formalities aside. Cregan blinks, and Sara is speechless.

''You were told through the ravens by Rhaenyra herself, but it seems the message has reached the wrong ears.''

Cregan lounges on his throne, looking at his fingers.

''What did Cerwyn say at the meeting?'' Sara asks.

''He didn't get to say much because I questioned him about Cregan's absence.'' I speak, looking at him. He wasn't saying anything.

''And what did he say about that?''

''What I told you; he said he was there to defend you and to make sure the information was true.''

Now, Cregan looks me in the eye. ''Who sent you, Daemera?''

I hesitate, putting my hands behind my back. Was there any point in telling him that only I cared about his absence? Or was it better not to mention the others' carelessness?

''Lord Cerwyn's words seemed to me to be... unconvincing. So I decided to come and see for myself.''

"No one sent Lord Cerwyn to Dragonstone. And certainly not Cregan." Sara spoke, seeming to raise numerous question marks in her own mind. As did her brother.

Lord Stark was even more disheartened and uneasy. He was silent for a while, seemed to be thinking hard about something. Perhaps the injustice done to him.

"I want to send word to Rhaeny- Queen Rhaenyra- to warn her about Lord Cerwyn and escort him back to Winterfell. However, I will tell you, Daemera, to convey to the Queen what a letter cannot: I am on her side, and Lord Cerwyn's words are full of venom and unbelief. So the moment war breaks out, I'll send ten thousand soldiers to King's Landing. She and House Targaryen have my military support."

I smile, giving him a bow. He stops me with his familiar smile, a welcoming one. "No need, we're friends."

"I must admit your message is the one my house needed most, given the poverty of our military might. Therefore, to reach a compromise and to show my gratitude, I will betroth my youngest daughter, Aerena, for whom I fight, to your first born son."

Cregan seems to consider the proposal, then nods, still smiling. "I find it agreeable, it will remain so. Very well."

-

I watch as soldiers escort Lord Cerwyn out of the fortress, riding a grey horse. He was accompanied by five other soldiers, with whom he was to ride back to Winterfell.

I was somewhat satisfied; the message from Cregan was received with warmth and delight by Rhaenyra, and also by Daemon. Now he had something to work with on his so-called 'unbeatable' plan against Aegon and his soldiers. He had also summoned me to the dragon cave to try to tame Vermithor and Silverwing, the dragons of the previous rulers of the realm, King Jaehaerys and Queen Alysanne. I knew, as a child, some songs in Valyrian that proved crucial in taming dragons. And Daemon tried to take advantage of that.

So after I got back from Winterfell, I tried singing to the old dragons. Successfully, sort of. They both relented and agreed to be touched, but there's a long way to go before they're led back to war.

As Baela and Rhaena were not to participate in the war, being under Rhaenys' protective guardianship, Vermithor and Silverwing would be of little use without a master.

I can feel my sleeve being tugged slightly. I look, seeing Yaehaera, whose hand I take between mine. She's humming some notes, of a song I remember so clearly. "When will I have my dragon?'' She asks me.

I clasp her shoulders with my other hand. ''If you haven't got it by now, it's not the right time, is it? Be patient, sweetheart. Haste makes waste, and the more docile you are, the stronger your dragon will be.''

She watches the clouds darken surprisingly quickly. She crunches, and I follow her gaze. Maybe it was a last-minute storm. We both flinch when we hear howling. Unreal loud, impossibly human. The clouds stiffen, and out of them I see Vermax and Viselor flying, quite tense. I begin to chill, then shiver; not from fear. Of worry, and of cold. A few moments ago it was pleasant.

''Dragons?''

''Strangers.'' I approve. ''Come on.'' I say, tugging slowly and walking back into the castle.

Inside, it was a bustle. Apparently we weren't the only ones who noticed the possible danger. Maidservants were walking the halls of the castle. One almost tripped in front of us.

''Excuse me, Your Highness...''

''What's going on?''

''It's you we're looking for. Prince Aemond is expecting you in the council chamber.''

''What for?'' I ask, puzzled.

''The war begins.''