XI

Viselor flies back to Dragonstone, passing through thick cloudbeds and masses of cold air. When I finally see the walls, a dragon approaches. ''Daemera!''

It was Jacaerys. From a distance, Vermax looked bigger than he actually was. He approaches, and I see my nephew gasping for breath. ''Me, Lucerys and Aemond ran into Aegon with Sunfyre and a woman on a smaller dragon. Lucerys and Aemond..''

He pauses for a second, at which point I feel my blood freeze in my veins. Were they all right? What had happened? ''Lucerys and Aemond...? What about them?''

"They keep fighting them. They have greater problems with Aegon, though.''

I relax, then think. It couldn't have been anything but true, since the female-possessed dragon was none other than Shrykos. It was the dragon my nephew, Jaehaerys, was once supposed to tame. Shrykos and Morghul were the only ones, besides Sunfyre, Dreamfyre, and Tessarion, who had just died, that Aegon had in his 'personal dragon arsenal'.

''We can go retrieve Aerena now.''

He says, completely capturing my attention. It was the perfect opportunity. However...I didn't know who Aegon had left in her care, so it could be risky. Jacaerys was still waiting for me to make a decision. But I'm putting all worries and risks aside. All I wanted was to hold my child in my arms and know she was safe, away from my brother's uncontrollable hatred. ''Very well.''

-

Alicent watched the fire in the fireplace, bleary-eyed. She was disappointed, and worried. She had to witness a war in which four of her children were taking part, which could, moreover, threaten the protection, as well as the succession of the entire realm. She lost her authority; since Aegon became king, he began to develop a mind of his own, which did not conform to his mother's thoughts. She was no longer in control of him, and now he was endangering everything she had tried to build.

A child's cry can be heard from a corner. Aerena had just woken from her sleep. Helaena begins to caress her, and then to rock her gently, soothing her. Alicent turned, looking at her eldest daughter. She had a fate full of misfortune.

''How lucky Daemera is...It seems nature and destiny had great plans for her...'' Helaena murmured, covering Aerena's head with the silk she was wrapped in. There was no sense of regret, but an endless amount of sadness. She had had no children, and the ones she had birthed had died young of a simple, simple cold.

''Helaena-'' Her mother tries. The young queen makes an almost audible sound, silencing her. Alicent feels her chest heave. Helaena, like Aegon, pushes her away, isolating herself in her own misery. Unlike her husband, however, she keeps quiet. Aegon takes revenge.

There's some growling outside the door. They both fall silent, staring at the door, which is still closed. Aerena begins to wail again. The big door opened slowly, but no one appeared in the doorway yet. They both waited in dead silence, until Alicent murmured. ''...Ser Arryk?''

-

''Hello, Mother.'' I say, stepping into the room. I look her straight in the eye, my gaze drained of all emotion. I look at Helaena, who is not looking at me. She holds Aerena in her arms, who calms down again.

''You know what I came for.'' I add, turning to my sister. Jacaerys enters as well, tucking his sword back into its sheath.

''Daemera, there is no need for bloodshed.''

''You all started one when you took my daughter hostage. And you said nothing. You kept quiet and watched. You hoped it would have a happy ending, that Aegon might finally wake up to reality, or I could pretend nothing had happened. That's not what parents do. And because of neglect, you lost a son. Daeron is dead.''