• 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞 𝐈𝐈𝐈 •

~ 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒌 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝑳𝒂𝒓𝒖𝒔𝒔𝒐 𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒆 𝒇𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 ~

I shuffled around my cue cards, making sure I had them in order. I also made sure I used the correct highlighter to differentiate my cards from my pre-written rebuttals.

This debate was a semi-finals one against New Leonard High. They were good, but so were we. I had taken up debating when I wasn't in any dojo and had gotten pretty good at it.

This debate was a pretty big deal, so I was definitely nervous. However, most high school kids couldn't care less so it was actually the middle school kids that were the most involved.

They obviously just wanted to interact with the older kids, but it was still so nice that they gave up their time to help and watch the debates.

We needed a time-keeper for our debate and I checked the sheet to see who needed to be where. "Olivia Wilkinson and Kenny Payne? Are you here?" I asked loudly as I read the names from the sheet.

Two kids come forward at their names being sounded. The boy Kenny was a short black kid wearing some type of video game shirt. Olivia was a red head wearing a green zip up Adidas jumper.

"Hi, I'm Dahliah. What debate are you meant to be time-keeping?" I ask them, both turning to look at each other with confusion.

Kenny was the first to admit his cluelessness. "I-I'm sorry, I don't know." He apologised, looking anxious already.

"It's okay, did anyone say if you were in debate A, B, C or D?" I asked them and they suddenly were speaking the same language as me.

"Yeah, I'm in debate A." Olivia told me.

"I'm up for debate C." Kenny added. Thank goodness they knew what debate they were in, or this would be a lot more stressful.

"Okay perfect. I'm in debate A so I'll show Kenny where to go and then Olivia, you and
I can walk in together." I offered as I began walking.

They both walked on each side of me and Kenny was the first to thank me. "I appreciate it a lot, thank you Dahliah." He thanks.

I shrugged it off. "All good, Kenneth. Can't have you wondering around can we?" I said as we reached his debate room. "Here we are."

Kenny turned and smiled at me again. "Thanks a ton." He expressed his gratitude once again and I gave him a two finger salute in favour.

Now, I walked me and Olivia to my debate room. It was all the way across the school, so it would take a minute or two to get there.

"You two friends?" I asked Olivia who nodded her head no.

"No, he goes to New Leonard Middle School, I'm here at West Valley. I guess we just volunteered to time keep." She shrugged.

I nodded in understanding. "So, you interested in debating?" I asked her, trying to make more conversation.

Olivia looked offended by that. "No offence, but that's some nerd shit." She told me, almost grimacing at the thought.

I scoffed and looked at her. "So what? Nerds end up being rich and their bullies work for them." I pointed out.

"Being smart doesn't always lead to success, though. Effort, determination and resources are also important factors to consider." Olivia told me factually.

I just smiled at her. "That's some debate talk right there. I reckon you'd be good at it." I told her honestly.

"No thanks. I wanna do something more badass, not lame. Like skateboarding." She told me. I nodded my head in agreement; skating is cool.

"I do karate and debating, so I'd argue that karate is just as badass as it gets." I told her with a smile. This seemed to spark her interest and she turned to face me.

"You're in Cobra Kai?" She asked me with wide eyes, making me laugh at the enthusiasm.

"No, no. I used to be, we even won the All-Valley tournament. I'm even friends with the champ, Miguel Diaz himself."

I don't know why I felt he need to flex on a 14 year old girl, but I did. I needed to let her know that having one hobby doesn't define who you are as a person. There is more to life than stereotypes and limiting yourself to one thing just holds you back.

But I mainly wanted to prove I'm not a loser.

"So why'd you quit?" She asked me. Such an innocent question that made me deflate and my smile falter.

"I was in the school fight and I was hurt. Bad. By someone in Cobra Kai as well, I thought he was my friend. That was when I realised that Cobra Kai just turns good people into assholes, so please never go there. Ever." I warned.

Olivia nodded in understanding. "What about your dojo thingy. Does your team teach kids my age?" She asks me.

I thought about it. I'm not even in a dojo, so I couldn't really give her an answer. It would be a lot easier if Johnny and Daniel magically merged their dojos, but I don't see that happening.

"I'll keep posted. Alright, here we are Olivia. Got all your stuff ready?" I asked as we entered the room where my team was shuffling their cards around.

Olivia nodded. "Just call me Liv or Via or something, I don't mind. Olivia is just too formal." She asks.

I nod and then smirk at her. "For now. I have a habit of giving people their own nicknames, you'll have one in no time." I told her and she gave me a playful glare.

I walked over to my team and made sure that everything was in order and ready. The debate commenced soon after and we won by 2 points. Olivia smiled at me in congratulating me and I appreciated it.

She walked over to me and I could tell she needed to tell me something. "I'm at the skatepark most days from 5-7 usually. If I can join, come and let me know." Olivia requests. I nod and she goes to return her stopwatch and I guess go to the skatepark.

Little did I know that a third generation of karate drama was in the near future. One on my left, the other in the room I escorted him to.
________________________________
A/N
The American school system is so weird to me as an Aussie. Everything about American schools just confused me so much.

Anyone do debating??

I promise more Dahlry context this season!! Be honest, are you guys getting impatient?

Lemme know what you think :))