Part 1

AMAHLE

Siya was all set to dive into the world of law at Howard, Aya geared up for FIS studies at DUT Ritson, and yours truly was on the brink of a thrilling adventure in land surveying at Howard. The excitement was palpable as we wrapped up the unpacking frenzy in our shiny new three-room flat in Glenwood, Durban. The dynamic quartet consisted of Bomi, Sis'Tee, Aya, and me, ready to take on the challenges of this new chapter.

Our giggles echoed off the walls as we arranged our belongings, turning the once bare flat into a vibrant haven of laughter and shared dreams. Aya's dad, usually a resident of Johannesburg for business, was notably absent, leaving us to navigate this fresh start on our own.

The walls of our flat seemed to absorb the buzzing energy of our shared enthusiasm. The air was filled with the scent of possibility and the promise of countless memories waiting to be made. With every poster hung and every bookshelf assembled, it felt like we were not just decorating a flat but crafting the backdrop for the next phase of our lives.

Bomi, with her infectious laughter, added a touch of sunshine to the room. Sis'Tee, the voice of reason in our little group, carefully organized the chaos of textbooks and stationery. Aya, always the spirited one, danced around the space, turning mundane tasks into a lively performance.

As we unpacked, the conversation flowed effortlessly, punctuated by bursts of laughter and shared anecdotes. Aya, the ever-enthusiastic friend, shared her plans for conquering the world of FIS studies. I, with a mix of shyness and anticipation, envisioned the adventures awaiting me in land surveying.

The atmosphere was electric with the camaraderie of lifelong friends embarking on a new journey together. It wasn't just about unpacking our belongings; it was about unpacking the dreams, aspirations, and the unspoken bond that tied us together.

As the day unfolded, our flat transformed into a sanctuary of shared joy, marking the beginning of a university drama novel filled with romance, camaraderie, and the sweet anticipation of what was to come. Little did we know that these humble beginnings would shape the course of our lives in ways we couldn't yet fathom.

Bomi let out a sigh of satisfaction, announcing, "Okay, I think we're done here."

Tee, with a twinkle in her eyes, exclaimed, "Oh my babies have finally grown," a hint of tears threatening to escape.

I playfully reassured her, "Oh come on, Sis'Tee, we'll always be your babies."

Aya chimed in, "Yeah, Mom. Now chill, we're gonna be fine!"

Bomi, in her usual protective tone, warned, "You better. You guys better behave."

I teased, "When have we ever not?"

Tee added with a raised eyebrow, "When have you ever?"

Aya, ever the peacemaker, insisted, "Oh come on, we're good kids. Can we go get something to eat? I'm hungry!"

Mom, the voice of reason, questioned, "Where are we going to grab this something to eat?"

I suggested, "I saw something like a mall when we were driving up the street. Why not go check which restaurants they have?"

Tee agreed, "Take your stuff and let's go then."

In unison, we exclaimed, "AWESOME!" and headed down the stairs to the car, ready for the next adventure.

Driving off to Berea Centre, a mini mall that lived up to its name, we parked in front of Nando's and made our way inside.

Mom, contemplating the food choices, asked, "So what are we having?"