Chapter eight.

"Where are we going?" Max asks as Daniel leads him somewhere.

It's the second last night that they are staying in the Bahamas before they need to get back to racing next week. Which most were happy and excited about, but not Max. He will have to get back to reality.

However, for tonight. Daniel had decided that he wanted to take Max somewhere. He hadn't said much or given Max much details about what is going on or where they are going. But it seems like the Aussie doesn't want to tell him.

"It's a surprise and if I tell you it wouldn't be a surprise anymore. So enjoy the walk to your surprise." Daniel says with a grin.

Max doesn't like surprises and that is all thanks to his father. Who had once said he had a surprise but it ended up in Max getting hurt and more traumatised then before.

The breathing of the shapeshifting Dutchman hitches before he starts to breathe heavily. Tears form in his eyes before they roll down his cheek, to only gather at his chin. Sobs leave his lips as his body starts to shake violently.

Daniel notices the change in Max and wraps the boy in his arms before helping him sit down. He can feel Max shake so badly and try to trash away from him. Too panicked to realise that it's Daniel that is trying to get him to snap out of it.

"Maxie? Name five animals." Daniel tells Max calmly.

"Dog, cat, lion, bee and you." Max says, not realising that he said you instead of honey badger.

"Okay, name four colours." Daniel continues.

"Orange, yellow, blue and red." Max replies, already calming down a bit. Tears still falling from his cheeks but his panicked breathing had stopped.

"Three things you can see." Daniel grabs Max's hands in his.

"You, your pink shirt and my tear stained pants." Max replies panting, his tears finally stopped rolling down his cheeks.

"Two things you can feel." Daniel asks, placing his hand on Max's cheek.

"You hands and the warm sun." Max says softly. His breathing almost normal again as his eyes don't water anymore.

"One thing you can smell." A smile plays on Daniel's face as he can see Max having calmed down again.

"You cologne, what is that? Boss?" Max asks softly as Daniel laughs and nods his head.

He helps Max back onto his feet, the Aussie pulls Max in a quick hug to calm the boy down entirely and Max hugs him like Daniel is gonna disappear. He feels bad for Max and maybe it's better if Max knows where they are going. Even if it spoils the entire purpose of it.

"I was gonna take you on a surprise date but I guess you have been traumatised in that way too. So I know for the future not to do any surprises. Come on." Daniel says as he takes Max further.

Max nods his head as they walk along the path to a clearing, soft wave clash against the shore. Max can see a blanket being spread over the sand with champagne, foods and a bouquet of flowers. Max turns to Daniel. Does this really mean that his older friend who was once his team mate, love him?

"Come." Daniel says as he takes Max to the blanket.

Max's mind is running in overdrive, this could be the best thing that can happen to him. He has been in love with Daniel for years now. He can't think of any other person in his life that ever made him so happy as Daniel had done.

If anyone had the ability to Max make happy and forget all his problems it was Daniel. The man that could put a smile on his face without having to do much for it. Just like now, the fact that Dan had said it was a surprise date has Max's insides doing flips and turns to the point that he can't stop bouncing on his feet while Dan takes him to the blanket.

"Sit. I'll pour us some champagne." Daniel says before sitting down and popping the champagne bottle.

Max does as told and plops down on the blanket. He picks up two strawberries from the bowl that Daniel had placed. Dan gives Max a glass of champagne and Max drops one of his strawberries in his before dropping the other is Dan's glass.

"Is this really a date?" Max asks a bit unsure.

"Yes, you think I would call it a surprise date if I didn't mean it?" Daniel asks a little teasing Max.

Max nods his head before going to lay on his back and lay his head in Dan's lap, who snickers and runs his fingers through Max his hair. Daniel feeds Max some fruits and pieces of chocolate before max does the same for Daniel.

It stays like this for a while, Max looking at the sky and at Daniel's face while they eat food. The topics range from everything to their favourite moments as team mates. They had missed spending time together when it's just the two of them.

Daniel at some point puts on some soft and gentle music while Max just hums to it. Two entire bottles of Champagne are gone before the two sit up next to each other and watch the sun setting behind the horizon. The two just enjoying themselves.

Max's phone buzzes before he picks it up and has to chuckle for a second before he shows it to Daniel. Who chuckles also before he rolls his eyes with a smile on his face.

Seb: you and Dan still having fun?

Max: yes.

Max replies back to seb with a smile on his face before he lays his head on Dan's shoulder, the two watching the sunset in silence with the waves clashing against the shore. As the sun disappears behind the horizon, does a green light shine.

"Did you see that!!??" Max suddenly says full of excitement.

"Yes, it's almost as beautiful as you." Daniel says teasingly.

Max turns bright red in his face, blushing at the compliment that he had gotten from Daniel. Daniel wraps his arm around Max's shoulder before kissing the side of his head. A content sigh leaves Max's lips.

They stay like that for a long while, it turns dark. So dark that you can only see the stars in the sky. Which has Max memorised, his focus entirely on the sky while Daniel gets him up on his feet and starts to clean the stuff. Putting it in a basket.

"Come." Daniel says to Max.

Who doesn't seem to hear him but allows himself to be dragged away. Not minding that Daniel steers him back to their home. All that Max cares about is how beautiful the sky is and how amazing his day has been.

Back at the house does Daniel pit the basket on the kitchen counter. He takes Max up the stairs to their room because Max refuses to sleep in his own. He is super scared to have some walk into his room that isn't one of the drivers.

Daniel strips Max from his clothing, he has seen it all. Over the years of them being teammates, he had seen it all. He just never asked about the scars or bruises, he just let it be. He was worried but he couldn't voice them out or Max would freak.

Max allows himself to be undressed, Daniel obviously putting on his pyjamas. He allows the Aussie to touch him in places that he would normally freak out but he trusts the older man with his life.

"Done, come to bed." Daniel says before pulling Max in bed.

The bed is soft under Max's tired body, not that he did much more then just lay in the sand and eat everything that Daniel was feeding him but nevertheless is his body completely drained. His need to sleep intensifying.

Daniel slides in next to him, he climbs on top of Max. Brushing away the long blonde locks of the dutchman from his face before kissing the soft plump lips of Max. Max moans softly, feeling the tongue of Daniel slip passed his lips and into his mouth. It's hot and sloppy.