Chapter 5

"About what?" I ask. He sips the tea I didn't even realize he was holding and points to the ottoman in front of him. "Come sit." He tells me. I shuffle over, trying not to put too much weight on my left foot.

"So, your mother and I have been talking..."

Oh crap.

"...About your friend, Taylor."

OH THANK THE LORDS!!

"What about her?" I ask. He shrugs.

"She's kind of.. uh.. dumb? We don't really think she's the best influence for you."

"Wait a minute!" I exclaim. "Okay, sure, she may be a bit of an airhead, but that doesn't make her flat out dumb!" I say.

"Oh? Well then, tell me exactly how she isn't dumb." He says.

"Well, she's in all AP classes, and passing everything!"

"Actually," dad starts, "She's currently got a 65 in AP Lit and Science, and her math grades went down from 100 to 58 in a week. Literally."

"...Oh.." I say.

"Yeah. Simply put, we just don't think you and her should be friends anymore." Dad says.

"Dad, she's been my best friend since 6th grade! I can't just... ahh.." I trail off as something over my dad's shoulder catches my attention.

Another set of eyes, almost golden, peer through the window and meet mine. Nothing but black surrounds them, and I recognize them immediately.

Its the wolf thing from earlier.

"What is it? Are you okay?" Dad asks. "Is there something behind me?" He starts to turn around, but the wolf closes its eyes, making itself practically invisible. "Ah, uh, s-sorry! I thought I saw a spider on the window." I lie. "Must've been my eyes fooling me!"

"Oh." He says. He totally bought the lie! "Well, your mom and I won't be changing our minds any time soon. I'll let you think about it, but I need you to tell me whether or not you'll keep being her friend by tomorrow night. Okay?"

"O-Okay!" I say. "No problem! Uh, can I go now?" I ask.

"Yes, you can go."

"Thank you! I say, getting up quickly. I speed shuffle up the stairs and go straight to my room. I open my window and see the wolf looking up at me. "Why are you here? What do you want??" I ask it. It sniffs me and wags its tail a little bit. "If you want me to be your owner, I can't!" I tell it. "You're way too big!" It exhales through its nose, sounding frustrated.

"Don't get mad at me! I'm sorry, but I don't know how to deal with dogs half the size of trees!" I respond. "How about this; I can't understand you at all! So if you need me to do something for you, come back tomorrow night at this time. Okay?" I offer. It whimpers, but gets off my house and walks back to the woods.

"I'm taking that as a yes!" I shout to it. It doesn't respond, disappearing into the trees.

What a weird dog.

------------------------------------

When I wake up the next morning, it feels like everything from yesterday reset itself. The conversation about Taylor. Being at Taylor's house. Even the giant wolf.

Oh yeah, I invited the thing back here. Although, it shouldn't be coming until 10, so I'm good for now. I sit up, stretch, yawn, and put my slippers on to start the day. I brush my teeth and wash my face before heading downstairs to start making breakfast.

Mom and dad aren't home. They've got the morning shift, and most likely won't be home 'til about 7-ish, so I've got plenty of free time. After I finish my cereal, I hit up Taylor and ask her if she's busy. She has to finish up with my nails anyways. She says no and invites me over.