When Love Runs Red:: Chapter Nineteen

Copyright © 2013: Letitia Van Herck. All Rights Reserved.

                                     When Love Runs Red

                                        Chapter Nineteen

It was the day of the ball. Servants scurried through the ballroom much resembling startled rats. There was a sense of panic about them for they knew any failure would be met with harsh disparagement. There was always a vast amount of fear when such events took place and Queen Daniela all but relished in that fact. She strongly believed it wasn’t love that held a Kingdom together, but bewildering fear so deep it shook ones soul. It was how she had secured her place and too found her power.

           The ballroom was almost prepped and ready for the day’s event; dressed in large ornamental flowers, candles and with decorated ruby red curtains hanging from the large windows. Daniela indeed felt it held a certain excellence that could not be surpassed. Twirling she let out a joyous chuckle; delighted that her deadline had in turn been met. Undeniably brilliance was something she had always excelled in.

          Located against the right wall of the dining hall, was an elongated table and sprayed out upon that was a fine silken red table cloth – to which shimmered in the candle light. Cutlery, some of which was made of fine china, was sprawled upon the table; that would also be filled with grand collectives of succulent food. Small flagons of wine and blood were too offered as respect for the nobles, though in principle she held little regard for the pig headed males.  

          She felt she was surrounded by bundling buffoons, most of which held such little regard of her and what threat she posed. Queen Daniela Royale was indeed a threat, and one that was best not tampered with. In truth she held cruelness to her, which on good days was hindered for proper conduct. However, when messed with her brilliant demon – to which was a dark temptress of untamed bounds – came roaring from her still heart.

         Stepping towards a window, she pried the curtains open and peered through the hazed glass. The rain, which had been falling like a sailor’s storm as of late, had subsided; though dark clouds still tainted the red sky. The ground lay wet and muddy, a barren wasteland of unparallel proportion. Trailing across the courtyard, his manner suspicious was Gerard.

        His gaze flickered, eyes darting in uncertainty as he continued onwards, horse in tow. It was evident he had been out and was apprehensive about being caught. She had been oddly suspicious of the young guard for a matter of days now, and had indeed sent two of her finest – and least daft – guards to explore his whereabouts.

         As though on cue they slipped through the shadows; close behind but virtually unseen. From the height of the window, Daniela could catch glimpses of their prowling forms. She gazed down at them levelly, her fingers pressed against her dress and mouth set in a firm line. Their attention too, as though sensing her overbearing presence, was brought about to the window. Their eyes meeting hers she gave them a stern nod; signalling for them to proceed. Bowing from their shadowed keep, they continued onwards - after the guard. She was curious, if anything, about what Gerard’s intentions might have been.

         Daniela moved back from the window, raising the folds of her gown, directly before strutting across the room. Head held high, her shoes tapping against the wooden floor; she approached the double timber doors – the most evident exit. She pushed them open, a subtle creaking formed as they swung outwards. Queen Daniela stared onwards at the descending hallway, brows drawn together. Wide eyed and startled servants seemed to freeze in their tracks before scattering to the shadows, evading her direct gaze and path.