A Birthday Surprise

"Pencils down."

We were taking a math test. On our birthday. Yipee.

"Past your tests to the front." Mrs.Peters ordered, looking down on her notes.

Nervously I handed my test to the student infront of me. Usually I'm a smart student, but it's just the nervous jitters after a test that gets me. I'm okay with any grade as long as I don't get an 'F'.

Suddenly I saw Alex do the impossible, she was writing something down on another student's tests. On the blank boxes. My eyes widened,is this even Alex?

"Thank you Miss Bailey." Mrs.Peters was just handed the stack of tests and sat them down. Alex and Conner glanced at each other, but when my eyes met Alex's she quickly looked away. "I would like you all to take put your homework, from last night,"Mrs.Peters commanded,"And I want you to briefly present your work to the class."

After she finished her sentence she sat down on the stool behind me;to watch over Conner.

After painful hours of hearing one boy say 'Jack and The Beanstalk' was about an alien abduction, and a girl say that 'Puss In Boots' was an example of animal cruelty. I finally zoned out and took out my sketch book and draw my version of Goldilocks.

Finally Alex walked up to the class.

"It was so hard to choose just one fairy tale to write about,"Alex started,"So, I selected the story the theme of which present in virtually every fairy tale and every story ever written, 'Cinderella'!"

I was the only one interested.

"Many people have had issues with 'Cinderella' saying it had anti-feminist elements." Alex continued,"But I think that's completely ridiculous!'Cinderella' is not about a man saving a woman! It's about Karma!" Things just got interesting.
"Think about it,even after years of constant abuse from her stepmother and stepsisters, Cinderella remained a good person with high hopes. She never stopped believing in herself and in the good of the world. And although she married the prince in the end, Cinderella always had inner happiness. Her story shows that even in the worst situations-even when it seems no one in the world appreciates you- as as long as you have hope, everything can get better...."

My eyes furrowed, is she talking about herself or the story?

"Thank you Miss Bailey. Very well said!" Mrs.Peters said,the tips of her lip lifted only half a centimeter.
"Thank you for your time." Alex said,then walked back to her seat.
"It's your turn Mr.Bailey." The teacher announced.

The room seemed to have gone very silent as Conner dragged his feet to the front of the class,"I chose 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf'."

What? Conner! What are you doing?!

My eyes lingered over to Mrs.Peters,who rolled her eyes, and to Alex, who slumped in her seat.

"I know your all thinking I went with the easiest one,"Conner started out,"Except, read it again, I don't think the story is about the importance of honesty. It's about high expectations!"

A few kids didn't bother to look up, but I straightened my beanie. As if to look interested, which, I was. Duh.

"Sure the boy was a brat. I can't deny it." said Conner,"But can you blame him for having a little fun? Clearly his village was having a bit of a wolf problem, and everyone was stressed about it. He was just a kid; did they really expect him to be perfect all the time? And it makes me wonder, why was no one watching the kid? Maybe if his parents had kept an eye on him, he wouldn't have been eaten. I think the story is trying to tell us to keep an eye on your kids, especially if they're pathological liars, thank you." And with that he sat down, it was sad to watch his expression, he felt like he'd fail.