Chapter 25

"My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother." George Washington

—-

Chapter Twenty – Five

Imogen sat in the library, in one of the over-stuffed armchairs, drumming her fingers nervously on her knees.

Salisbury's library was cosily disorganised. Every end table was littered with novels. The large reading desk by the window was covered in Simone and James' school things. By the looks of the papers, their abandoned lesson was on the letter 'b'. The children had been writing out words that started with that letter. Imogen liked this library. The library at Ascot was compulsively organised by Mr Clarke. Everything was alphabetised and he kept a meticulous log of the literature which everyone, even the sitting family, felt obliged to use. This library was homely, and one could lose themselves for hours in a novel in here.

Imogen immediately stood when the library door opened. Simon had gone to collect the children. He thought that the library would be a good place to get to know one another as they could distract the children with stories if need be.

Simon held the hands of both Hannah and Harry. They were still wearing the clothing that they had arrived in, and they appeared slightly confused. Hannah, as soon as she saw Imogen, seemed to recognise her. She smiled slightly, though she did not greet her.

"Hello, children," Imogen greeted again, feeling quite nervous. She felt considerably more nervous than she had earlier in the day. Though, she supposed that her anger had masked any nerves she may have felt. These two children before her could very well be her future children. She could be their mother.

What if she was not a good mother? She had spent a long time making peace with the fact that children were an unlikely blessing in her future. She did not have the makeup for childbearing. Did she have the makeup for childrearing?

Imogen looked at the two young faces before her. The fact that they had been born to two different mothers was not lost on her. They had been loved by their true parents once. Hannah's mother had ensured her future by entrusting her to Simon, but she had been loved for her five years. Harry had not had a traditional start to life, but his mother's last act was one of love, ensuring his future.

It would be a great honour to raise another's child, to be trusted in that way. Imogen hoped that she would not fail. She could not fail their true mothers.

"Children, you remember my friend, Lady Imogen?" prompted Simon. "You met earlier today."

Simon motioned for everyone to sit down, and they sat in a circle on the floor, his children either side of him. Imogen crossed her legs and placed her hands in her lap. The children were staring at her. Hannah's brown eyes were inquisitive. Harry's blue eyes were curious.

Imogen looked to Simon desperately. How could she not know what to say? If the silence continued, then surely Simon would think of this meeting as a failure. She was a few minutes away from being sent away, she just knew it.

Simon laughed, most likely at her anxiousness. "Children, I love this woman."

Imogen's eyes widened. That was the second time he had told her he loved her ... today. She would surely not tire from hearing it. Her breath caught in her throat and she smiled at him.

"I love this woman, and I would like for you to know her," Simon continued.

That was the third time. It was magical.