Chapter 15

“When you lose your ego, you win. It really is that simple.” Shannon L. Alder

---

Chapter Fifteen

The brothers had been gone for nearly an hour. After what James had overheard, Imogen was worried that James and Simon would not be able to repair their good friendship.

Rebecca had joined Imogen on her rug after the commotion, watching after her husband and brother-in-law with a worried expression. The children seemed oblivious as they frolicked about on a hillside nearby.

Rebecca had asked Imogen what she and Simon had been speaking about as clearly James had overheard something unpleasant. Imogen simply told her cousin that it was not her place to speak of it. Rebecca reluctantly accepted this. She then told Imogen that James had been very worried about Simon.

“They have not seen each other in so long, you see. It was my first time meeting him when he arrived as well,” Rebecca had said. “James was so looking forward to seeing Simon and his condition was a shock. He was quite hurt that Simon did not send for him at the time, and though he would not admit that to me, I can tell. James says that Simon is not the same. He is changed from battle and he longs the openness that they once had as brothers.”

Imogen truly felt for James. She could not bear it if she were separated from David or Alexandra and then have their relationship change.

“I do hope that Simon confides in James,” Imogen had said. Rebecca had been fishing for answers and that was all Imogen would give her.

“As do I,” Rebecca had replied, “for my own husband’s sanity.”

After Rebecca had left to tend to her suddenly feuding children, Imogen idly pulled at the blades of grass on the hilltop while they awaited James and Simon’s return. No one could really enjoy the picnic lunch if there was an argument occurring nearby.

After ten minutes of attempting the braid the grass, Imogen heard the brothers approaching. When their heads came into view as they climbed the hill, Imogen could see that neither one of the men looked angry at the other. They both looked calm. She hoped this was a good sign, and that everything was out in the open between them.

They did not make an announcement to the family. They merely returned to their original places. Simon walked directly over to Imogen and resumed his place on the rug beside her.

Imogen chewed on her lower lip anxiously as her family’s soft conversations continued.

Simon smiled at her and Imogen visibly relaxed. “Do not look so nervous, Lady Imogen,” he said calmly.

“Is James very angry?” she asked.

“He was,” Simon said, nodding, “more confused than anything. But I was able to explain myself to him. I was able to tell him the tale that I should have told him four years ago. Male pride, Lady Imogen, has been the death of many. My pride was nearly the death of me. I may never be rid of my guilt, Lady Imogen, but I do want to resume what is left of my life.”

A small smile teased the corners of Imogen’s lips. She was glad that James and Simon had talked, but she was disappointed that Simon still held onto the guilt of his past. She supposed that the guilt would eradicate itself eventually. Time was the only thing that could ease it.

“I am glad you have come to this conclusion, Colonel,” confessed Imogen. “A distinguished serviceman, like yourself, deserves a fine retirement.” Imogen then immediately wished that she had not mentioned his time in the military. That was the source of his guilt, after all.