Chapter 6

“If you build the guts to do something, anything, then you better save enough to face the consequences.” Criss Jami, Killosophy

--

Chapter Six

Imogen took several deep breaths in an effort to calm herself. Very quickly, her heartrate began to steady itself. If what Simon said was true, then she would do everything in her power to ensure that Moon did not spook and she was not bucked right off her back.

“Introduce yourself, milady,” instructed the hand softly, giving Imogen an encouraging nod.

What an odd idea, Imogen though. Nevertheless, she cleared her throat and said, “Hello, Moon. It is lovely to meet you. My name is Imogen.”

Both Simon and the hand laughed quietly. Even Emmeline was giggling from beside the stable. Imogen blushed. What had she done wrong?

“He meant hold your hand out, Lady Imogen,” clarified Simon. “Allow the horse to come to you, to see that you are no threat to her. He did not mean that you had to verbally introduce yourself.”

“Oh,” Imogen said, embarrassed. Her cheeks were flaming crimson. Imogen held up her arm and the hand slowly led Moon over to where she stood. She horse did not appear suspicious. Once Moon was near enough to Imogen’s hand, she quickly sniffed it before allowing Imogen to stroke her. Imogen placed her small hand on Moon’s long nose. She stroked her softly. Imogen moved her hand along Moon’s cheek and jaw, enjoying how calm the horse was in her presence. Imogen had never before been so close to a horse. She looked to powerful and strong.

“Very good, milady,” commended the hand. “Would you like to ride her? Just around the corral?”

Imogen nodded slowly. She eyed the side saddle warily. How could she ever climb atop the horse? Even now, merely standing, her legs were wobbling, her knees knowing together. She willed herself to remain standing. She had to remain standing. If Simon was right, then giving up and sitting down would do nothing for her future muscle strength.

While she was contemplating how on earth she was going to get into the saddle, Simon had already acted. He placed his hands on her hips and lifted her up effortlessly. In mere seconds, she was placed in the saddle.

“My God, you are light,” muttered Simon to himself.

Imogen did not respond. She was suddenly aware that she was atop a horse! She felt very unsteady, and yet very brace. Moon was shifting beneath her, and Imogen felt every movement. She felt as if Moon were swaying. It was such a different experience, to have an animal in charge of her fine movements.

Moon shifted her weight more dramatically and Imogen seized hold of the reins. She felt as though she were sitting on top of Moon’s shoulder blades.

“Shh,” hushed the hand as he stroked Moon’s neck.

“How is it?” asked Simon.

Imogen smiled down at him. She felt as though she had not smiled to widely in her life. Her facial muscles were beginning to hurt. She supposed they had not been used properly in years, either. “Brilliant,” she gushed, “absolutely brilliant.” Moon shifted her weight again. Imogen was not nervous, though she kept a tight grip on the reins.

Imogen’s head snapped around when she suddenly heard the barking of foxhounds in the distance. Her family were rapidly approaching. “Help me down, Colonel,” instructed Imogen in a forceful tone.

Simon furrowed his eyebrows. As he did so, his scar tissue nearly covered his right eye. “Whatever is wrong?”

“The hounds,” Imogen replied. “My family are near. If they see me atop a horse then my parents will be very angry.” With you, she neglected to add.