Chapter 23

"Listen. Slide the weight from your shoulders and move forward. You are afraid you might forget, but you never will. You will forgive and remember." Barbara KingsolverThe Poisonwood Bible

—-

Chapter Twenty – Three

"Forgive me," Alexandra said with disgust, "but he said 'I am sorry', just sorry?"

Imogen nodded. "He did not even know what he was apologising for," she murmured as she bounced little Elin on her lap. Imogen, Alexandra, and Elena were all in Gabriela's bedchamber helping her to pack her things. Gabriela needed to be in Copenhagen in time for Christmas as Christian did not want to miss Elin's first Christmas.

"Men never know what they are apologising for, Imogen," said Elena. "They only apologise because they believe it will make you happy." She sounded as though she was talking from experience. Imogen wondered how often her brother got into trouble with his new wife. Elena began organising her sister's scent bottles before muttering something to Gabriela in Spanish that she was unable to hear.

Gabriela laughed. "Oh si. Los hombres son tontos."

Imogen smiled. She was glad at having the support of her family, but that still did not heal the hurt she felt over how Simon had reacted upon his return. It was like he did not believe that anyone would be worried about him. How could he not see that she would be worried sick? She had woken up from a state of unconsciousness and he had disappeared without a word. It was not an unfeasible thought to think that he might have abandoned her because of the fact that caring for her would be too much of a burden.

Alexandra came to the bed to sit beside Imogen. Alexandra smiled at her sister sympathetically. "Just because he is a fool, it does not mean that he does not care about you."

"Allie is right," agreed Elena. "Simon has spent the past decade of his life amongst men. I doubt he has much experience at talking to women." Elena pursed her lips and added, "Talking to women he cares about, I mean."

Imogen was not ignorant as to the goings on of the regiment. She had seen troupes pass through the villages before now and they always seemed to leave many broken hearts behind.

"Do you know who the children are?" Alexandra asked cautiously. "Are they his?"

It was not unlikely that a soldier could have illegitimate children throughout Europe, but she could not believe that of Simon. He was too noble, too proper.

Imogen had to presume that the little boy was Harry. He was such a sweet looking boy. But she had no idea who the girl was. She was also an attractive child. Imogen could not help but feel jealously when she contemplated the fact that Simon could have known her mother. She would have had to be very beautiful.

"I do not know," replied Imogen honestly. But if he had a good explanation, the children would not bother her. How could they? They were children. She had only met them for the briefest of moments but she knew that they were excited, happy children. She could also tell by the way that Simon was fussing that he cared about them, that he loved them. Imogen respected him for that.

"Well, he had better try to make amends soon," declared Alexandra angrily, "and with a decent apology, and a decent explanation."

Elena came to take Elin from Imogen so that she could have a cuddle. Elin would most likely be a grown child before she saw her again. "Imogen, regardless of what happens, you should be very proud of yourself. You have achieved so much in Simon's absence. You are so strong now." Elena smiled at her and then began to sing softly in Spanish to her niece before returning to her sister's side.