CHAPTER 14

We returned the next morning with the filled trucks. After enduring another inspection, Quinn and I went to the courthouse to let Liet know we were back. As we stepped through the doors, Liet presided over a group of soldiers. One was shackled and kneeling on the floor. Quinn and I waited at the back of the room.

"They needed food. You can't let kids go hungry."

Liet slammed his fist onto the desktop. "I make the decisions of who gets what and how much." He pointed a finger at the soldier. "You follow orders." He flipped his hand in the air. "Take him to the pyre."

"What?" The soldier on the floor squealed and tried to get to his feet, but the two on either side of him pushed him back down. "It won't happen again. Please, please give me another chance."

Liet eyed the soldiers, his face pinched with irritation. "What is he still doing in my presence? I said, take him to the pyre."

The soldiers grabbed the prisoner by the arms and dragged him out of the room. His pleas for mercy echoed for a long time after he left. I felt sick to my stomach, and Quinn went white. Things were getting worse. Liet was mean before, but now he was being downright cruel. Quinn and the guys were right. Something had to be done. Liet glanced up and noticed us at the back of the room.

"Ah, I see you've returned. Another successful excursion I trust?"

I nodded mechanically.

"Wonderful." He smiled.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I assume you'll want us to head out again and fill up some more trucks."

Liet shrugged. "If you'd like, but we have enough supplies right now to last us a while."

"What about Florida?"

"What about it?" Liet leaned back in his chair and folded his hands on his stomach.

I couldn't believe how nonchalant he acted after sentencing someone to death. I tried to gather my thoughts.

"I thought you wanted to get supplies to take to them."

"I thought about it, but what have they done for us lately?"

It was baffling. Was he really that callous? "They sent you workers a few months ago."

"So? The workers they sent aren't worth anything. Do you know what I have to put them through to get them to do the simplest task?"

I took a deep breath and struggled to keep my voice under control. "So, if you send them a gift of supplies, perhaps they'll be more receptive to sending workers who actually work. Right now they send you those they don't want out there."

Liet stroked his chin as he thought. "What do you care if I have good workers or not? Eventually, I can motivate anyone to do anything I want."

"Maybe if you had better workers, you wouldn't be so stressed out. With better workers, you could relax. Spend an evening at the river. I think sending a truck will be a gesture of good will. They'll eventually run out of supplies and come here looking for them. Do you really want The Families subverting your authority? If you take the initiative, they'll stay put."

Liet stared at me intently. "Perhaps. What do you suggest I send?"

"Food. Maybe some clothes."

"I'll think about it." He sat forward in his chair and buried his face in his paperwork.

"So, do you want us to get some stuff?" I asked.

He waved his hand. "Sure. Just leave me alone."

Quinn and I headed out to the empty trucks and climbed into the cab. Bill and Kyle waited in their semi, and we headed down the road. A few miles outside of North Platte, I noticed a horde of zombies on the road.