CHAPTER 13

It took us two days to fill up the trucks and then take them back to North Platte. I dropped in briefly to let Liet know I was all right, but he was busy so I didn't stay for long. I stopped in to say hello to Pam, but we left again within hours of returning the loaded vehicles. On our next trip out we were instructed to get clothes and more food for the masses. Again, we headed toward Casper.

"How many more times do you think we can come here before it runs dry?" My foot was on the dash and I held on to the open window.

Quinn shrugged. "Depends on how much more stuff Liet needs us to get."

"You know, eventually, all the supplies are going to run out. They need to start making new ones."

"Maybe they'll start doing that once the wall is built."

I snorted. "Yeah, like that's ever going to happen. Do you know how long it took them to get where they are? Months. And the only thing they have to show is a chain-link fence and the trench where they're going to put the stone wall." I shook my head. "No, I'm pretty sure that wall will never be finished."

"What about the people in Florida? Won't they make sure it gets done?"

I laughed. "You're kidding, right? What do they care if the wall is done? They live as far away as they can. They're not affected."

"What was Florida like?"

I turned my gaze out the window for a moment, remembering my time in the Sunshine State. I turned back to Quinn. "It wasn't anything spectacular. All the orphans were put in one hotel where they were given an education and career. I was a servant in the Johnson family's suite. I hated every moment of it, so the first chance I got, I left."

"Who are the Johnsons?"

"Only one of the most important families in Florida. Without them, the world would have collapsed into chaos."

Quinn raised his right eyebrow and looked at me sideways.

"Not enough sarcasm? I'll try harder next time."

He smiled. "You have any friends who are still there?"

I nodded. "One. Her name is Pearl. At least I think she's still there."

"When's the last time you talked to her?"

"I don't know. A while ago. She didn't want me to leave, but I didn't listen to her. I was so desperate to get out."

"You should write to her."

I turned partway in my seat and cocked my head to the side. "Why? It's been months. I doubt she wants to hear from me."

Quinn shrugged. "If she's a good friend, she'd love to hear from you, no matter how much time has passed. It doesn't hurt to try."

I stared out the windshield. What had Pearl been up to? Did she find any family? Was she still in school? I was sure she was mad at me for leaving. I'd be mad if she'd left. I thought about what I would say. Maybe if I opened the letter with a "You were right, life is pretty bad here..." it'd smooth the way. Pearl was never one for gloating, but she might think I deserved whatever I got. After all, I abandoned her in Florida.

Then again, Pearl had every opportunity to leave too. She didn't have to stay there. I shouldn't have to apologize for anything. I only did what I thought was best for me. If she couldn't understand that, then she could go to hell. I didn't have to answer to anyone. Still, it'd be nice to know what she was doing. Maybe I would write her a letter.

The trucks pulled into the mall parking lot. A few cars still sat in the parking spaces, but otherwise the place looked empty.

I stared at the building. "How do you want to do this? The place is much too big for a detailed search."