CHAPTER 10

I switched shifts so I worked nights in the guard tower. I thought one of the easiest ways to stay on Liet's good side was to stay out of his way. Plus, I wanted to do something constructive to help the community. Since he was so busy during the day, I had plenty of quiet time to sleep. When he came home angry at night or with a girl, I left so he could have his privacy. We attempted to keep things cordial and our family ties strong by having dinner together, talking about the mundane happenings that occurred earlier in the day, then I was off to work.

The schedule worked for weeks, then one day, I was summoned from sleep to meet Liet in his office. It was important. He knew I worked all night, and he usually let me sleep. My curiosity was piqued. What was going on? I went down and took my usual seat in the jury box. Three guys stood in front of Liet's desk. He stared down at them, his eyebrows pushed together in contemplation.

One of them looked to be the same age as me with a round face and bright brown eyes, his face reddened from the sun. He wore a tight pair of Wranglers and a plaid shirt with cowboy boots. He carried a holster on his hip, but it was empty. The guards must have taken his gun when he'd entered the gate. No one but the soldiers were allowed to have weapons. Pam explained that to me my second day in North Platte. She never told me why, but it wasn't hard to figure out. Guns were power. Those who possessed them had the power, those who didn't, didn't. It was your typical tyrannical setup.

One of the other two with him was older, probably in his late twenties. He was stick thin, and his jeans hung loosely around his legs. His boots were faded and worn, and the sun had tanned his skin. The other guy was a younger version of the older, although not much older than I was, so I assumed they were brothers.

"So, now, tell me why I should trust you? You don't even look over eighteen."

"Age has nothing to do with experience. You need someone to get you supplies in the West. I can get you supplies." His voice was low, quiet. I noticed a faint accent, a subtle twang that wasn't quite Southern but close.

"And that's a guarantee?"

The guy shrugged. "I can't guarantee anything, but I know where your chances are the best."

Liet's eyes narrowed. "I suppose that will have to do." He straightened some folders on his desk. "Give me a few days. I need to find someone to send with you."

I slid forward in my chair. "I'll go."

Liet snorted. "I don't think so."

I stood from my seat. "Why not?"

"Because I need you here."

I stepped out of the jury box and up to his desk. I wanted to scream at him from across the room and stamp my feet, but I didn't want to embarrass myself in front our guests.

"For what? So I can shoot more zombies from the guard tower? Why did you call me down here if you weren't thinking about sending me?"

Liet leaned forward and lowered his voice to a whisper. "I wanted you to see that someone from the West answered our call. I have no intention of sending you into harm's way."

I lowered my voice to match his. "C'mon. All your soldiers are busy watching the workers. You have no one to send and you know it. I'm the only one who can go. Pleeeease?" I folded my hands under my chin.

Liet sighed heavily and sat back in his chair. "Fine, but you'd better be careful while you're out there." He turned to the guys. "This is Krista. She'll be going with you."

I nodded to the group and then went upstairs to pack. This was the best news in weeks. Even though Liet and I were getting along better, I still dreaded every evening I had to see him for dinner. I never knew which Liet was going to show up—the nice one or the mean one. This way, I didn't have to worry about it.