Chapter 01

TK looked at himself in the mirror. The rest of the team had already left the firehouse and gone home after shift, but TK had decided to take a little more time in the shower because he had spent most of the day sweating. He had taken his temperature, but he didn't have a fever.

They hadn't done much of anything during the shift either, so he didn't know where all that heat was coming from. It barely let him concentrate on anything but the image of Carlos in every possible way, all of them particularly arousing, and his brain kept telling him to go home already, to find Carlos and...carry out all those scenes.

He washed his face again with cool water even though he had just gotten out of the shower, but his cheeks were still hot.

He finished dressing and went downstairs to leave.

He passed Judd, though before he even saw him he caught the strong scent of his colleague that he had never noticed before. He stared at him for a moment as Judd finished cleaning the fire truck.

"Everything okay, TK?" his friend asked and TK gasped.

"Yeah...yeah...it's just..." Judd's scent became even more intense and he had to take a step back.

He couldn't say he was attracted to him; Judd wasn't his type, and he had Carlos, and there were a thousand other things that made it absurd to think that he could somehow be attracted to him.

But the feeling was strange.

"I have to go."

TK ran off, even as he still heard Judd calling him to ask if he needed anything. But what TK needed was to get away...though it wasn't clear to him in exactly what direction.

He kept running and soon began to sweat and his heart was racing. He passed people and each of the men who passed by him made him feel a different way: some, even those whose faces he couldn't even see were attractive; others he rejected, as if he knew them and in a certain way hated them, and then there were those who looked at him.

He could recognize a certain look of desperate desire in some, the one an alpha felt for an omega; but as a beta he had never been in that situation. The beta was there to literally be in the middle, to please the alphas, to work for them, to keep them company until the alpha in question found the omega with whom they would forever bond and form a family.

TK had always been a beta. He liked everyone and had satisfied the needs of a few alphas when they had asked him to, but when Carlos had appeared in his life, he only had eyes for one alpha.

His father had told him he should be careful about falling in love with the cop. "It's his alpha nature, he'll find an omega and you...you'll take a back seat and he'll stop being attracted to you."

"Carlos isn't like that, Dad. I can feel it, he loves me and we've been trying..."

"Don't trust the promise of an alpha, your mother can tell you that about me. Alphas without omegas are not to be trusted and sooner or later they will leave you stranded."

"How many omegas have you dumped?"

"That's your father's business."

He arrived at the door of the house turned into a sweat bath, hot, excited, trembling and with the feeling that he was going to explode if he didn't find himself soon in Carlos' arms, naked both of them, in bed or on the sofa, in the shower, anywhere, but... but... but....

He grunted and leaned his head against the door because he wasn't quite clear on what was happening to him. He had heard about heat but he knew that was only a thing for omegas, when they were ready to mate and start the reproductive cycle.