30

Charlie stands there, awkward. He doesn't know if he should comfort or listen. "Why do you have a look at what Princess Imogen has sent you? It might help to ease your mind." He mumbles.

Letting out a long and slow breath, the prince carefully unties the string keeping the cloth in place. Like a blooming flower, the white cloth falls to reveal a small engraved wooden box. The prince brings the box closer, running the pads of his fingers over the engravings–his interest piqued.

The box fits in the palm of his hand, made from the wood of a walnut tree. On the top, a singular carnation has gold metal tips to its petals while the four walls depict tulips and four-leaf clovers. The edges have been carved ever so delicately to look like a rope. The latch and hinges are also gold, perfectly polished to show no smudges of fingerprints.

Whoever made this put a lot of care and many hours to create something of such detail.

The corner of the prince's mouth curls into a smirk. He's seen many marvellous creations. Plenty of men have come to his family claiming to be the best in all the lands. The prince will admit he's seen miraculous things and ideas, but nothing with such detail on an object so small.

Lifting the lid there is a folded piece of paper that first greets the prince, and underneath is a glass dome sitting on a small velvet cushion. Inside the dome, five daisies have been dried.

The prince gasps as he takes out the dome and feels the weight. It's not particularly heavy due to its size, but still pure glass.

Dear Prince Nicholas,
This should reach you before I see you again as I saw it from the window of my carriage as I was leaving you. It's a paperweight that I thought you may find useful. The daisies remind me of our little picnic by the river. I hope the same is for you, where you may look at it when stressed while working hard, and it calms your mind. I calm your mind.
Princess Imogen xxx

With the prince having to pick a girl to potentially marry, princess Imogen has been working hard to take that spot. The prince's heart is even starting to waver. His original idea was to marry a princess he's known since very young—someone he's got a strong enough friendship with that he's willing to turn into a relationship. However, in the last few years, the prince has gotten to know princess Imogen and thinks he might be able to grow some real feelings.

Not just playing along as he does with other princesses that visit to make them happy.

"Charlie."

"Yes," Charlie replies swiftly, thinking the prince wants him to send something back to the princess.

"I have another lesson to get to. You are excused till after my dinner. Could you take Nellie with you?" Nellie immediately stands up and starts wagging her tail at her name being called. "She's been by my side all day and hasn't taken a single step outside. I can tell she wants to stretch her legs" The prince reaches down and scratches between her ears.

"Of course, your highness. I'll go retrieve her lead from your room." Charlie nods his head before making his leave.