26

"So.. his highness would like me to have two horses, ready for a long journey, to deliver to the city gates, at night, when he requests?" The horse master looks up at Charlie from the letter he received. When he first saw Charlie, he thought the boy was coming in to say the prince wanted to go on a hunting trip or planned to visit another kingdom. He was not expecting some ambiguous letter about having to deliver horses, so they weren't seen. The prince usually prefers everyone to see him when he leaves, so he waves them off and hears their voices as they cry out his name.

"Yes." Charlie swiftly replies. He understands the horse master's confusion, but there is only so much information he is allowed to say about the situation.

The horse master nods his head as he thinks. He has to agree to the prince's demands as he is merely another servant to the royal family. "Right. Are there two specific horses he wants? Or will any two horses do the job?"

"Riding horses, palfreys. Preferable ones that have the longest stamina as they need to travel a greater distance than usual." Charlie looks past the horse master at the variety of horses to choose from. At the far end stands a palfrey with a full black coat, long hair— that is plated to one side, and eyes that stare deep into Charlie's soul. "That one there." Charlie nods his head, causing the horse master to turn around and snort.

"You won't want her." The horse master walks over to another palfrey with a more light brown coat. "This boy is more like what his highness will want, his legs are longer and is great with commands."

"What's wrong with her?" Charlie knits his brows as on appearance, the black palfrey looks just as healthy as the light brown one.

The horse master makes some groaning sounds before speaking. "She's a bit jumpy. She's alright but needs more training. If she gets spooked outside the castle, she'll come right back without stopping, even without her rider."

"His highness will want her." The horse master looks at Charlie in disbelief. "She'll always come back to the castle, so as long as she is carrying a letter there will be no problem, and his highness needs two horses, right?"

The horse master slowly nods his head as he's hesitant to answer, "Yes..."

"Then both palfreys will do." Charlie is pleased with himself. He thought it would take longer to choose the right horses, but if one is the best and the other he has a gut feeling about, he has to pick them.

"If you say so, Charlie. I'll start preparing them. Let me know when they're going to go." The horse master walks away with a shrug.