25

we made it to the beach in time to watch the sun set over the water. sitting on the sand, nick's arm wrapped around me, i felt like i was in a movie. the sky was awash with bright pink and purple hues, and i felt relaxed all the way through. instead of the usual volcano of thoughts racing around my head, i was focused on nothing but the moment i was in.

"i've missed this," nick said, breaking the silence of nothing but the waves beating against the sand.

"me and you hanging out?" i asked. he nodded. "we've hung out plenty times with just us since you got back from that show."

"i know, but everything was always different. you were dating julian and life was hectic. it wasn't like this- just sitting together and being happy."

i smiled at that. "i guess you're right. things were crazy for awhile. sometimes i still wish things were as simple as they were before you and dream became so famous. when we could all go to the grocery store and dance in the aisles without someone sneaking a picture or running up. i just miss being us out in public, i guess."

"we could always move to some country where no one knows who we are," nick suggested, jokingly.

"but then we would have to give up seaworld," i pointed out.

"we could build our own seaworld."

"and call it ocean world?" i teased.

nick shrugged, letting his arm drop from my shoulder. i felt the absence like a cold draft of air that startled me. "we could honestly just buy a big island and build whatever the crap we wanted on it."

"a library/bookstore?"

"sure," he said immediately.

"a library with a cafe?" i questioned, going one step further.

"if that's what you want."

"wait wait wait. a library with a cafe and smoothie shop and recreation rooms and study rooms that's open practically all the time for anyone who ever needs an escape or has the urge to read or get a smoothie at two in the morning?" i was actually getting excited at the prospect.

nick laughed and flashed a brilliant smile at me. "that sounds like something you would love, so yes."

"you know, that actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. i've always wanted to own a library or cafe or smoothie shop. i could seriously combine it all into a safe, fun place for everyone," i said. i looked hopefully at nick. if he thought the idea was stupid, i would have been heartbroken.

"we can start looking for a location when we get back home."

i grinned so hard my face hurt. "we're really going to do this?"

"absolutely."

half an hour later, we were driving around trying to find a hotel to stay in. there were only two close by, and they were fully booked for the night. finally, i found a "bungalow" rental place that had a few openings. they were right on the beach and the reviews were all good, so we decided to just stay there.

i walked into the main building to pay while nick called dream to tell him exactly where we were and everything. the building was decorated in the typical beach house way, and it smelled like salty spray and possibilities. once i paid, the lady at the desk gave me a set of keys for the bungalow and for the "amenities".

"alright nicholas, here's the deal," i said when i got into the car. "there's only one bed in each bungalow but i figured you've slept in the same bed as me enough that there's really no need to pay so much for two of these bungalows."

"that's fine with me," nick said. "do you want to go grab some snacks and rent some movies? or do you want to go out. it's only nine."

"we're going to go on a quick shopping spree. we need bathing suits and clothes for tomorrow."

"do they have a pool or are we going in the ocean?" he asked, pulling up directions to the nearest store.

"you'll see."

we made it back to the bungalow- which was absolutely adorable- just in time to get changed into our swimsuits and make it to the night surfing lesson.

"holy crap this looks so cool," nick said, looking around at the five other people adorned in glow bracelets.

"this is the last one they're doing because it's about to get too cold," i said, repeating what the lady had told me. "so we made it here in time."

"lucky us," nick smiled.

once we were out in the water, the instructor was teaching us the best way to stand up quickly on the board. nick managed easily, but i struggled to not trip over my own feet. i wasn't paying attention to the rest of the group, but nick's loud laughter kept making them glance our way.

"this would be way easier to do if i could see," i grumbled. seconds later, i was falling into the cool water again.

i broke the surface to the sound of nick's laughter. "how's that salt water taste?" he asked me.

in response, i spit some of it at him. when he tried to duck, he fell off his surfboard. he came out of the water sputtering and coughing, and i couldn't stop laughing.

after about a dozen more tries, i finally managed to stand up and catch a small wave. nick cheered me on, trying not to laugh when i inevitably fell off.

after a few more times, i was exhausted. "i think it's time we head back," i said. "i need a hot shower and some gummy worms."

"i want pizza," nick declared as he dropped his surfboard on the sand. "i'm starving."

"you're always hungry."

"i burn off a lot of carbs running after you," he fired back.

"fair."

when we got closer to the bungalow we had rented, i took off running to beat him to the shower. he yelled at me and tried to catch up but i was way faster than him.

"loser!"

word count: 1027