18

it took over an hour after nick and peyton left but karl ended up getting dream to go with him to look at some car or something that he said he was thinking about buying, leaving the house empty. while peyton and nick were being accosted by a horde of fans who somehow knew nick was going to be at that exact bookstore at that specific time, it was time for me to get some things rearranged in the house.

i left the office, mark riding in the passenger seat, and headed home.

"so what exactly am i helping you with?" mark asked as he drummed his fingers on his legs.

"well i already explained you the war that's ravaging our house right now, and i need you to help me move the furniture around," i said vaguely.

"i thought i was just supposed to call you and make up a serious reason for you to be at the office," he said . "i didn't know i would actively be participating."

"mark, there's a few things you need to do before you die. swim with sharks, throw a penny off the eiffel tower, and help your boss play a prank on her roommates in an effort for her to exert dominance over them," i told him, glancing his way. "since we aren't in the ocean or in france, your only choice is to help me."

mark didn't even try to hide his smile. "okay, sounds good to me."

"but you aren't wearing that stuffy suit the whole time so we're going to stop by your house and you are going to change into more comfortable clothes."

"yes ma'am," he said with a goofy grin.

when we finally made it back to the house, i unlocked the door and led mark upstairs. as we came to the top, i pointed out dream and nick's rooms. "so basically, there's a few things we have to do. we have to move their beds to a new location and we have to switch everything in the rooms to the other person's room. after that, it's just little stuff to make them regret messing with me," i explained.

"sometimes you terrify me," mark replied.

"good."

we started in nick's room, taking his bed out first and hauling it down the hall. "so where are we putting this?" mark asked as he helped me ouch the mattress down the stairs.

"i have a friend who's going to take it to a new location," was all i said.

outside the house was john from the grocery store and his friend who i had never met before.

"can you guys get it there?" i asked.

"definitely," his friend answered. "ten minutes tops and we'll be done."

"great! i'll send the box springs and the other set down in a few minutes," i told them.

mark and i set off switching their rooms while the other boys did what i asked them. once we finished a few hours later, mark helped me set up a few more small traps before peyton texted that they were heading back from paintball. mark and i hurried out of the house and took cover in my car. i drove down the street and parked inconspicuously in front of someone's house to wait for everyone to get back.

ten minutes later

"THALIA MONROE IF YOU DON'T GET MY BED OFF THE ROOF I SWEAR I WILL BE FOREVER PISSED," nick yelled into the phone.

i held it away from me so i didn't have to listen to him screaming up close and stifled a laugh.

"nick, can you stop screaming? i'm in the middle of a crowded meeting and people can hear you," i hissed, still trying not to laugh.

mark glanced at me, a grin permanently stuck on his face, and tried to compose himself.

"don't even, thalia. i know you did this," nick said.

"and we will kill you," dream added.

mark cleared his throat and said, "ms. monroe, is something wrong?"

"no, just my roommates having some troubles. i'll have to talk to you guys later. bye!"

i quickly hung up, mark and i exploding in laughter seconds later.

"oh they're going to hate me," i said happily.

"this is the most fun i've had in years," mark admitted.

i looked over at him in surprise and said, "really? you have got to hang out with me more then."

"yeah i should," mark agreed.

i started to say something back when my phone started ringing with a call from my uncle randy. the uncle who never talked to me because he hated me for moving out of texas and leaving my mom alone. i abandoned her for my dad, he always said. and when my dad died, i stayed in orlando to run the company instead of going back to my mom.

i haven't talked to my uncle since.

"hello?" i asked as i answered the call.

"thalia?" uncle randy asked. "is this thalia?" he sounded out of breath, like he'd been running a marathon.

"yes."

"i'm sorry to tell you like this," he started to say before choking on his own words. once he was finally able to talk, what he said sent me throwing open my car door and sprinting toward the house as i felt hot tears spill down my cheeks.

i ran straight through the front door and up the stairs, not stopping until i collided with nick.

"thalia, what's wrong?!" he asked as his arms automatically went around me.

"my mom," i managed to say between small sobs.

seconds later, peyton, karl and dream were wrapping their arms around me too in a giant group hug meant to comfort me. it only made me cry harder.

after a good few minutes, i finally pulled back and hastily wiped the tears off my face.

"i'm not sorry i moved all your stuff, but i love you guys. a lot. i wouldn't be able to survive without any of you," i admitted.

"we love you, too," they all replied, sharing worried glances.

they could all guess what had happened but none of them would know for sure until i said it aloud, something i didn't want to do. i wasn't yet ready to admit i was now an orphan.

word count: 1050