Chapter 9

Back in Silver City

“Betsy, we need to call Paul!” Adam shouted, and Betsy trembled as she picked up the phone.

“Okay okay.” and she dialled in the number.

After 5 rings the phone got through to Paul.

“Hello?” he answered.

“Hi Paul, It's Betsy, Grace's mom.” she called out.

“Oh.. Hi.”

“Are you okay?” she asked. Betsy was worried if he was suffering too.

“Yeah, I guess. I just miss her.. “ and then he started to make whimpering noises “..so much..”

“Damn it! Just tell him he needs to come down to station!” Adam yelled and then began pacing.

“I know. We do too. But, if you want things to get better, you need to come down to the police station to answer a series of question they have for you.” she explained.

“I didn't hurt her, if that's what your thinking!” Paul roared.

“Not at all! Where ever she is, we need to set to and find her. Maybe she just got lost.” Betsy was trying to calm him down. Her mind told her that Paul had no interference with Grace's disappearance. But her gut gurgled whenever Paul was mentioned.

“Fine, I'll go.” Paul moaned.

“Come to ours, and we can all drive together.”

“Whatever...” and he hung up, put on his sneakers and reached for his car keys.

Paul arrived outside and parked on the side of the street. After he pulled out he's key, he took a deep breath and started to head for the front door.

Knock... Knock...

Betsy immediately swung the door open, threw her handbag over her shoulder as she pushed past him and headed into the passenger seat of the Ford Focus.

Adam came out after, and a serious looking mask had been plastered over his face, and Paul couldn't help but feel responsible.

The drive was mute. No one spoke or even a jitter a groan left their mouth. Once they got to the parking lot of the police station, they got out and with their heads down they walked in. Betsy grabbed Adam's hand and they went to the front desk.

“We are looking for Deputy Stranks.” Adam said, once he cleared he's throat.

“Are you here about the missing girl?”

“Yes, we are her parents.” Betsy cried out before Adam had a chance.

The women dressed in perfect uniform started forming papers together and then handed them to Adam. “Deputy Stranks will be along shortly. If you could fill out these forms in the meantime so that we have identification towards your results.” she explained and Betsy' eyes widened.

“What about the reception thing?” Betsy asked to the women, just as Adam started to pull out a pen. She gave her a confused look, and then finally understood.

“Oh yes! We are just having it replaced at this very second. Shouldn't be long until we find out where the phone call came from.” and she smiled sweetly, but Betsy knew it was a flat out porky.

Betsy nodded and then settled on a hard seat in a waiting room with Paul and her husband as she filled out the identification details.

Paul got to the last line on the end page he had fill out.

If you have any information, please let us know. Before it is too late.” he parted he's lips and took another deep breath.

“Mr and Mrs Hillbridge, if you'd like to follow me.” a voice called out, and Stranks peeped out from behind an office door.

The three got on their feet and stumbled into a enclosed room that was dark and had a bitter aroma to the atmosphere.

“If you'd all like to sit.” and Stranks welcomed them to a plastic seat and a 'cheer up' smile.

Once they all settle, Stranks wasted no time and began with he's obvious move. The boyfriend.

“Paul. Where were you when you last saw Grace?”

“We were having lunch together.” he lied.

“and how did she seem that day? Was she angry? Happy?” Stranks soon realised he's patronizing tone was on full blast.

“She was in a hyper and bubbly mood, like usual.” he answered quickly.

“Okay. Did you two have a .. good relationship?” and Stranks rubbed he's chin and looked at he's notepad.

“Yeah. We were pretty close. I know how to handle her and she does with me.” Paul scrambled.

“Were?” and Stranks moved in closer.

“She tended to go out frequently as time grew longer.”

“Do you think she may have ran off with someone else, that she was perhaps.. having an affair with?”

“NO!” and Paul raised to he's feet and smashed he's hands on the table.

“You have anger management too, I see.” Stranks mentioned as well and then smirked.

“She never cheated. She wouldn't do that to me.” and he launched back to he's seat and folded he's arms.

“Well. You never know. You say she kept her distance as time went on... and then my other two theories is to do with the strops you throw. Maybe she got sick of your short temper and went for someone with a better package. Or you threw a hit, and made her run.” and Stranks again scribbled on the paper.

Paul swallowed, and fear rushed through him. Was he caught?..