Chapter Eleven

January 1779

Dressed as a man, known as Pierre, Duke of Angouleme, Tess set sail for New France where they were about to gain independence.

------

February 1779

She was met by a family member, The Duke of Navarre, a descendant of Michel's son, Matthieu. The Duke was, along with Tess and the Duke of Flanders, representing the Queen in these matters. He was well aware of who Tess was and was poised to keep her secret.

After arriving in Quebec City's heart, they made their way to the Governor's house. He, and the representatives of all the regions of New France, were aware of who Tess was. The Duke of Flanders was the only one in the dark.

The Govenor bowed to Tess and Navarre as they came in. "Your Graces, it is an honour to have you with us."

"The honour is ours, Monsieur." Navarre answered.

"Have all the preparations been made?" Tess asked.

"Yes, they have. The representatives are ready to meet. We are well on our way to Independence."

------

Tess sat in the center of the room as the representatives went over their list of needs in order to unite. Acadia, Canada, Hudson Bay, and Plaisance on Newfoundland were represented. Louisiana was to remain a part of France until Louisiana was to be purchased by Jefferson in 1803.

Tess paid great attention to their requests and plans. She had, over many years, memorized a list written by Sybille of all that was necessary. The meetings were endless to her, going on for days each session. The longest was five days, they then took a week break before starting again. Tess was happy to do it though, she was, after all, having a hand in building her own country.

------

19 March 1781

On this date, the representatives signed into existence the first country of Canada. They had full separation from France. Tess felt tears coming on but pushed them down. She was elated to have had a small hand in the history of her home.

------

Late April 1781

Following the events of the first country of Canada's creation, Tess boarded a ship back to Braintree and her family.

------

19 October 1781

After hard-fought weeks of battle, Lord Cornwallis and the British Army surrendered at Yorktown. The war was almost at an end.

------

November 1781

With the war pretty much over, only peace waiting to be signed in print, the girls headed back to France. They were to change their appearances and take the aliases of Marie, Duchess of Brittany (Sybille), Elise, Duchess of Angouleme (Tess), and Anne, Duchess of Chatellerault (Lisette).

------

February 1782

The trip to France had been easy as there was little fighting between the Americans and British after their surrender. When the ladies climbed out of their carriage at Fontainebleau, Niko came running towards them. Lisette was the first to scoop him up, she refused to let go of him for an hour and he was quite content with that fact.

------

03 September 1783

Over a year later, the girls stood watching as the American and British representatives signed the Treaty of Paris at Versailles. It officially marked the end of the American Revolutionary War.