Chapter Nine

29 June 1767

Standing at the entrance to Parliament, Sybille and Tess watched as the King signed the new Townshend Act into law. A law that put levies on certain products, including tea, which would impact the future of the Colonies.

------

April 1768

Less than a year later, after Niko was picked up by the Steward of Fontainebleau, the ladies boarded a ship again bound for the future United States. This time they were going there to help start its revolution.

------

July 1768

The ship landed in New York and the ladies found themselves heading for Boston, where they were to live for a portion of their time there.

------

August 1768

Arriving in Boston, they rented a home next to the Adams Family, whose patriarch happened to be John Adams, the future Founding Father.

------

November 1768

Tess, parading as a man, left the house for the tailor shop the ladies had set up, only to bump into John Adams himself.

"Pardon me." Adams apologized.

"I was the one not paying attention." Tess told him with a fake thick French accent.

"No, no. I was not paying attention as well." John paused a moment. "You are my neighbour, Mr.?"

"Jean LaMontagne."

"Ah, yes. The tailor. Please forgive me for running into you."

"All is forgiven." Tess smiled.

"Alas, it is terrible that my wife and I have not yet had you over for a meal." John snapped his fingers. "You shall come, tonight."

"I will speak with my wife. Would we be allowed to attend with our daughter? She is sixteen."

"Of course, think nothing of it." John turned to leave. "Tonight, at six, do not be late."

Tess continued on to the shop and when she arrived told Sybille and Lisette about the encounter.

"How wonderful, we have finally made contact." Sybille said. "Tonight, we take a chance that they will believe our story and accept our help."

------

That evening, the ladies arrived right on time for dinner with the Adams family. John had only had four of his six children, and since they were young, they would not be dining with them that evening. Lisette was to be the only child at the table.

After answering the door, John led the three ladies (though Tess was dressed as a man), into the dining room. Abigail came out from the kitchen and smiled at them. "How are you this evening?"

"Well, thank you, Mrs. Adams." Tess answered. "May I introduce my wife, Madeleine, and our daughter, Ninette."

"It is lovely to meet you both." Sybille said as Lisette smiled at them. After taking their seats, the wine was poured and the first course, a soup, came out. "Mr. Adams, do regal us with your stories from the law offices."

"I doubt I have many stories; I simply fight for the people."

Sybille smiled and used that to segue into the topic she was most eager to discuss. "Something you will do plenty of in the future."

"Pardon me?" John asked confused.

"I believe my wife is trying to tell you your future." Tess explained. "After all, Witches can see into the future."