Chapter Six

October 1647

After services one Sunday, a man came over to the ladies and introduced himself. "Hello, I am Daniel LeClaire."

Sybille gasped aloud. Everyone looked at her. "I am sorry, I think I have something in my throat."

"Do not worry yourself, Madame." He pulled a bag off his shoulder. "I know you are closed today, but I was hoping I could drop some clothes off that need mending. It is difficult for me to get to town, you see, and today was the only day I could come."

Sybille was still in shock, so Tess nodded to Lisette who took the bag. "Of course, Monsieur. We can take them. Come by whenever you next get the chance, and they will be ready for you. Leave us at least a week, please."

"Of course, thank you." With a tip of his hat the man walked away.

"What is wrong with Mama?" Lisette whispered.

"Sybille!" Tess whispered sternly and Syb came back to her senses.

"I will explain at home." She grabbed Lisette's hand and made their way back to the house. When they arrived, she had Tess bar the door and led them upstairs to her and Lisette's bedroom before sound proofing it. Then, she squealed in excitement. "Do you know who that was?" She asked her daughter.

"No, Mama. Is he related to you? Are you not a LeClaire?"

"I am, and that is our direct ancestor. The first LeClaire to come to Acadia, the man who started the whole family that fills North America." She squealed again. "He is to have six sons and a daughter. His second youngest son is to be named Antoine, and we are descended from him!"

"I remember you telling me about Daniel." Tess thought. "Was his late father not a Baron?"

"That is how the stories go." Sybille took Lisette's hands. "Is this not exciting?"

"Very much, Mama!"

"I knew there was a possibility of meeting him, but to have him come to us...it is unimaginable." Sybille twirled. "Now, we must set to work on his clothes."

------

Sybille pulled out a fresh journal that was to be letters to her Pépère and opened it.

My Dear Pépère,

I am writing to you from your homeland, Acadia. I have exciting news! Today I met Daniel LeClaire, how wonderful is that?! To think I could meet someone so important to our lives is unimaginable. I was beyond shocked and delighted. We are to mend some of his clothing for him and then he will return to our shop to retrieve it. If we are lucky, he will use our shop often before he marries. How wonderful would it be to see him regularly? If only I could tell him that he will be as Abraham was, a father of generations. For he will have more descendants than there are stars in the sky.

Love,

Sybille

------

August 1669

Twenty-two years later, the ladies boarded a ship bound for the Thirteen Colonies. They were to go straight into the lion's den; Salem, Massachusetts.

------

November 1669

The trip to Salem was uneventful, but the ladies were still nervous as the ship made its way into the port. They were only to be there for about thirty years, but in that time a lot could happen. After all, Lisette and Sybille could die by hanging if those doing the killing had the intent. What would happen if Tess was discovered? Would they eventually realize she could die by fire? Would they end up killing my dearest friend?