Ouch

After the 'moment' last night between me and Benny, the next morning was kinda awkward. 

He still did exactly what I thought he would but when he came to pick me up it was a quick "hey" then out the door. We walked to the Vincent's in complete silence.

"You guys ready?" I ask the guys once we got there.

Everyone nodded, getting there stuff together.

"Good. Let's go then." Benny said, obviously feeling as awkward as I did.

Benny was leading the group while I stayed in the back.

I noticed Timmy slow down to walk next to me.

"What's up between you and Benny?" he asked with no hesitation.

"What do you mean?" I asked back even though I knew full well there was a noticeable tension between the two of us.

"You know what. You guys won't even look at each other." He says as he stops us from walking.

"Okay, fine. Last night, before I left his house after dinner, there was... a... thing."

"Thing? What kind of thing?"

"Well... you know... he made some stupid flirty comment and I wanted to see how far he would go. Next thing I know he's leaning in and then his mom calls for him before anything could happen."

"What'd you do?"

"What do you do in that situation?" I ask, genuinely looking for an answer. "I said 'night' and left."

"What are you gonna do?" 

"Like I know. Any suggestions?" 

"Maybe just try to talk to him. Not about the almost-kiss but like friends. How you usually are. Well, you guys have always been more than friends so maybe n-"

"Shut up." I cut him off and we run to catch up with the others.

We get to the sandlot, get into positions, and start playing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a couple hours we stop for a water break.

We go over to the dug out and Benny gets a water and walks away from the group a little.

I look back at Timmy and he mouths 'go'. I mentally groan knowing I'll have to at some point. I glance at Timmy before walking over to Benny.

"Hey." I greet.

He looks back at me and noticeably changes his body language. He straightens his posture and turns towards me as I keep walking.

I stop when I'm next to him and think of something to break the ice.

"What're the chances that I'll be able to tag you out next play?"

He visibly relaxes at that and lets out a breathy laugh.

"Not good." he says with a smile.

"Shame. I was really hoping."

"I mean... I could let you."

I smile at that. I know how much our baseball sessions mean to Benny, even if it's just playing to the rest of us.

"As much as appreciate you willing to give yourself up for me, if I ever tag you out, it'll happen because you didn't want it to happen."

We go back to playing a few minutes after that and Kenny asks:

"Heater, Benny?!"

"You know it!"

Kenny makes the pitch and Benny hits it clear into the outfield. For some reason though, he didn't start running.

"WATCH OUT!" Ham yells.

I look into the outfield and see moving van kid watch the ball come right in his direction.

He ends up covering his face with his glove seconds before the ball would've hit his face. But he still falls over.

All the boys start laughing but I'm just watching the kid carefully, making sure he's okay.

I see him stand up and he yells back to us, "Okay, I'll get it!"

He starts walking around, looking for the ball and seems to find it near the fence.

They boys all start yelling at him to hurry up and get the ball as he reaches down to get it.

He grabs it and stumbles back, running away from the metal wall between the sandlot and Mr. Mertle's house.

"We are waiting!" Squints screams.

They all go back to yelling at the kid and he adjusts his body in this really awkward position. 

Wait.

He's not gonna throw it like that, right?

He makes some really extra "throw" only for the ball to end up two feet in front of him. Looking down at his feet embarassed, he rubs the back of his neck before he starts to walk out.

When he leaves, I put my attention to all the boys and all of them, except Benny, are still dying in laugher.

"What a bunch of assholes." I say to myself.

I start walking towards the entrance when everyone seems to quite down.

"Where are you going?" I hear Ham ask.

"To make sure the kid's confidence isn't the only broken thing he has." I respond without stopping or looking back.

I walk out and see him slowly walking down the street and I shout out for him.

"Hey, wait!"

He turns around and once he notices who I am, I can tell he's about to cry.

"You don't need to feel bad. Even if you didn't catch or throw it very well you don't need to be embarrassed. I know they laughed but I'm not thinking less of you for it. Not everyone starts off great."

"T-thanks." he stutters.

"I'm gonna go back. You okay? Like physically?" I say while examining his body to make sure he wasn't limping or anything.

"Yeah. I'm good."

"Good. See you around."