10] promise to kunti

Kunti, fearing the war, approached Karna and revealed her identity as his mother to him

Kunti, fearing the war, approached Karna and revealed her identity as his mother to him. The two share a touching moment together, when she tells him to throw aside the name 'Radheya' and call himself 'Kaunteya' (Kunti's firstborn) instead, and he replies that that is the day he has wanted all his life.

Upon her requesting him to come with her however, a request that Lord surya himself reinforces from the sky, karna refuses. He tells Kunti, that, had she been willing to call him Kaunteya many years ago, when he appeared at the tournament, things might have been different, but now it is too late. He owes Duryodhana too much, is duryodhana's friend first and foremost, and must fight the pandavas.

However, he promises her that "he will not kill any of the five, save Arjuna. He and Arjuna have sworn to kill each other, and one of them must die. He tells kunti she can only dream of six sons. She will always have five sons, either him or arjuna".

He agrees to Kunti that he will use naga-astram only once against Arjuna.

Karna requests his mother to keep their relationship and his royal birth heritage a secret until his death. Only then she may reveal to the world that he was actually her first born. It is noteworthy that Karna denies to reveal this secret which makes him, the eldest of the Pandavas, rightful emperor.