7] Loyalty

King karna was spoken as a very loyal and true friend to duryodhana

King karna was spoken as a very loyal and true friend to duryodhana. While he was later part to the infamous game of dice to please duryodhana, he was opposed to it to begin with.

Karna always disliked Shakuni for his evil intentions, and advised duryodhana continuously to use his prowess and skill to defeat his enemies, rather than deceit and trickery.

When the attempt to kill the pandavas in the house of lakshagraha  fails, Karna chides duryodhana in his despondence, telling him the ways of cowards are doomed to failure and exhorting him to be a warrior and obtain what he wants through valour.

As a king, warrior and friend of Duryodhana, Karna became part of the Hastinapura court.

He went on to repeat bheeshma's actions in bringing the princesses of Kashi to Duryodhana as wives, appearing at the Kashi court, seizing the princesses, and challenging the kings and princes to take them from him if they can.

Another instance was when karna aided Duryodhana in marrying the "bhanumatiprincess of king Chitragandha. In her swayamvar, the princess rejected Duryodhana, who subsequently carried her away by force. The other kings present at the swayamvar pursued duryodhana.

However, karna defeated them single-handedly. Among the kings present in the princess of Chitragandha's swayamvar were king Jarasandha, Shishupala, Dantavakra and Rukmi. As a token of his appreciation, Jarasandha gifted karna a portion of magadha.

Karna was renowned in all the worlds for his generosity, surpassing even the gods. Following his appointment as king, he took an oath :

"Anyone who approached him with a request at midday, when he would worship the Sun, would go away with his request fulfilled. He would never let anyone leave empty-handed".

This practice contributed to Karna's fame as well as to his downfall, as Lord Indra and kunti took advantage of it.

[ If you liked this part, then please vote It would be appreciated :-) ]