Finding a Dance Partner

I wake up at around half-eight on Halloween morning, which is quite good for me, especially on a Saturday. I'd told Saffi and Aimee that I would help them put up the decorations for Halloween party this evening. So, after dressing in comfy grey jersey shorts and a green sweatshirt, I head downstairs for a quick breakfast and then meet Maddie and Aimee at the supply closet to load the decoration boxes into the dining hall. We take inspiration from Harry Potter with the hanging candles, which we decide to hang from the ceiling.

I am the only one willing to go up the ladder, so it's my job to attach the candles to the ceiling, whilst the other two tie the candles securely with an invisible string.

"What do you think the boys will dress up as then?" Aimee asks.

Asher and Nick told us last night that they will be going as a famous double act for Halloween but wouldn't tell us who, they want to keep it a surprise.

"I reckon Mario and Luigi," Saffi says.

"Really? I think maybe Woody and Buzz... or something stupid like ketchup and mustard," Aimee replies.

"Oh no, no, no," Saffi continues, "I know it'll be something stupid but stupid enough to go as condiments? I don't think they have enough confidence to do that... what do you think, Miyah?"

"I was thinking maybe Shaggy and Scooby. I can definitely imagine Nick as Scooby Doo."

Aimee laughs "Oh, totally, that's such a good guess! I can so imagine that."

"I can't and I hope that's not the case. If he dresses like Scooby Doo then I won't be going near him for the entire evening..."

We carry on stringing and hanging the candles, guessing what our other friends will wear before moving on to the next task. We have fake cobwebs, bunting, orange fairy lights and sticky bats for the walls.

Finally, it's time to decorate the tables. Candelabras are scattered alongside plastic skulls, pumpkins, rubber spiders, and spider web placemats.

Aimee is organising everything on one side of the hall, while Saffi approaches me as I'm setting the tables on the other. "Hey, I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I couldn't help overhearing your conversation with Asher on the hay-bales yesterday." Uh oh, I knew where this was going... "are you having guy trouble?" She asks, a well-intentioned concern in her voice. The question stings a little as I've never struggled with this sort of problem, especially not with two at the same time.

"Oh, um, not really, I don't think."

She nods. "Alright. I just overheard that you met up with Seth right? To return the book?"

"Oh right, yeah I did."

She continues, "I don't mean to pry, but is there something more than friendship? Between you and Seth, that is?"

I hesitate to answer, "No, no at all," I lie. I'm not entirely sure...

She breathes a sigh of relief. "Ok, I'm just worried about Asher. Maybe I'm being a little overprotective, but he's been through a lot. Of course, I know you wouldn't want to hurt him... but I just wanted to double-check... for his sake."

I understand where she's coming from so I don't take her comments to heart. "It's ok, Saf. Seth and I are just friends," I assure her, "I promise I wouldn't hurt Asher."

                                                                         *

It comes to the time in the afternoon when students start to get ready for the party. In our room, Saffi and I lay our costumes on our beds. Saffi has chosen to dress up as Cher from Clueless, complete with a yellow plaid co-ord with white socks, a blonde wig and a fluffy pink pen. She's going to look amazing. As for me, I decided to keep my costume a surprise like the boys. As I lay it out on the bed, Saffi bounds over, eager to see what I've chosen to be.

"What's that? Are you going as a vampire?" She guesses.