Finding Fire

We continue walking through the forest, discussing the future and what we plan to do after school. I tell Asher about my creative writing lectures but have no clue what job I want it to lead me into and he tells me how his accountancy lectures are going but like me, has no idea what jobs to do after either.

We've taken the long route around the forest, taking our time and enjoying the fresh air and beautiful scenery.

"Look!" I exclaim. We've been walking for around fifteen minutes and I point to the most incredible Japanese maple I have ever seen. The leaves are fire orange, hanging on branches that reach five times my height, completely contrasting against the dull brown leaves of the other trees surrounding it.

"Looks just like you," Asher teases.

"Oh, haha, very funny," but it does and I secretly congratulate myself on having hair as beautiful as this, standing out amongst others. I pick up a leaf that's fallen to the floor and hold it up, examining it more closely.

"You going to keep it?"

"It will be a good reminder of this walk," I say and put it into my jacket pocket and rejoin Asher on the path.

"You like Autumn then?" Asher asks with a smile,

"Yeah, my favourite season by far, everything is so cosy, and I love the colours," I look at him and laugh, embarrassed that he's seen this side of me, "but by the expression on your face, I think you've guessed that already... I can be pretty obvious sometimes."

"No, you tend to show your true feelings about things; you're not worried about hiding anything... I like it."

"Wow deep... you seem to know more about me than I do..."

"That's true about everyone I meet. I tend to look at the things about people that other people don't." He says as he put his hands into the pockets of his coat.

"Oh?" I'm finally starting to see what Saffi's talking about now, but he says he notices it about everyone... why does she think that I'm any different to him then?

"Yeah like everyone thinks that Nick is funny obviously but I've noticed that he's funny because he's terrified people won't like him if he doesn't make someone laugh. And Saffi, yeah she's a kind person but she genuinely is the kindest friend, she really does care deeply about what other people are feeling and if someone's upset it makes her upset until she finds out a way to make them feel better."

"Wow" is all I can say,

"Yeah and you..." he turns his head to look at me and I look at him "you're different to most. You're fascinated by the little things, by the things that most people take for granted," he points to the leaf in my hand and my grip tightens around it, "everything is beautiful to you and you're confused on why people don't see it the way you do. It's cute really." I couldn't think of what to say... he thinks I'm cute? Well that's not the thing to be caught up on right now... how did he just analyse my whole personality in one sentence? "But" he carries on, "there are some things that you want to keep to yourself but feel bad doing so. You feel as though you need to be an open book." How did he know? I want to tell everyone about my dad and the fact that mum and I are struggling so bad with it but I don't know why, I just feel like everyone should.

"How did you know that?"

"I told you. I can read people. I can tell when something's bothering them and I can tell something is bothering you. But hey, you're allowed your personal problems and thoughts Miyah. Don't feel as though you have to tell people things if you don't feel comfortable. If you do end up telling someone, make sure you think about it first, promise?"