THIRTY-SEVEN

- CHAPTER 37 -

❝Until I see you again

Until I see you again.

The Prewetts, post war.

EVERYONE ALWAYS TALKS about how death can come at any given moment. You never know when you'll lose someone, cherish them while you still can.

But why does nobody talk about how hard it is to live, day by day, after you've lost the person you love the most?

For Sirius Black, life was everything but okay. Even the simplest of tasks, such as eating or even getting up from bed had been extremely hard.

Every morning, he would be forced to get up and move on with his life. It was true that he was blessed enough to have such a supporting family by his side, but they weren't Gideon after all, were they?

No matter how many people he would talk to, how many words of condolences he would receive, nothing would help him feel okay anymore.

Sirius had imagined his whole future with Gideon. Growing old together, travelling the world together, going to their first concert together, all of that was nothing but a fantasy now.

The future he had dreamed of, it was no where near him anymore. All of it, he could only see in his dreams, in his imaginations.

Not only that, but the fact that his own friend, his own best mate was one of the main reasons why his Gideon had gone, it was devastating for the young boy.

The thousands of 'What ifs' cloud his mind at every second of his days. What if he wasn't friends with Peter? What if he paid more attention to Peter?

Would he be alive then? Be standing in front of him, hands in his pockets, a big smile on his face, would he be here?

People say that after a while, the pain starts to leave. It was all a lie, a complete lie. The pain does not leave, it gets worse.

As days pass, you start to realise that your loved ones are not coming back. Countless of days later, and you're still curled up on your bed alone. Theres no one holding you now.

Theres no one to wipe your tears, to kiss your face, to shower you with love, to spot your body with passion, theres no one at all.

"Sirius, dear, I think you should have this."

Molly Weasley, someone who had also almost given up on life, had been waiting for the perfect moment to give Sirius his belongings. It was a letter and a ring her brother had kept for the young boy.

At first, Sirius did not want to look at the things. He did not want to open the box, or read the letter. He already knew that Gideon was going to propose to him, he had said so himself as his last few words.

As time passes on, Sirius starts to feel even more lonelier than before. The hole in his heart, nothing can fill it up with love like Gideon used to.

Looking at the things, the boy started to tear up once more. After a while of contemplating, he opened the box and saw the ring that he wished Gideon would have put on his finger himself.

Reluctantly, he wore the ring and started reading the letter slowly, taking in each word as deeply as he could.

My dear Sirius,

If you're reading this, I couldn't propose to you. For that, I am sorry. I promised you my whole future, my whole entire life. But now, i have broken my promise. I'm sorry Siri, for everything and beyond. This ring, keep it as another promise. A promise that i intend to keep. We will meet again in our next lives, or the ones after that, I will keep waiting until I see you again.

Take care of my record player, you better not forget it while im gone. Play our favourite songs on it Siri, for you and for me. And one more thing, don't forget to move on Sirius.

When you feel guilty, just know one thing. If there is anything i could ever wish for, it would be for your happiness. Don't be so lonely Siri, i would be mad at you if you did.

I love you Sirius, forever and always. Find someone who would keep promises better than i have, be happy for the both of us.

Yours and yours only,
Gideon Prewett.

There was one thing that Sirius Black had realised. No matter how much you cry, how much you grieve, a person who has left, is forever gone.

No matter how many times you pray to the Gods above, the one who has left would never return. If he had one wish, it would be to talk to his redhead one last time. Say a goodbye to him, once more.

Just once, it's all he ever asked for.

Sirius Black pressed the letter close to his chest, it was the last thing he had of Gideon and he did not want to let go. It was the last thing connecting them together.

"Sirius? Cmon, it's time for the funeral."