Chapter 18: Wondercolts vs. Shadowbolts

The next day had just begun as it was currently daytime and all students who weren't participating in the Friendship Games were now in their respective classes. Once Vice Principal Luna started speaking, all pairs of eyes turned toward the nearest loudspeaker.

Vice Principal Luna: *over P.A. system* Good morning, students. I'm sure you're all thrilled to start the first day of the Friendship Games. Our competitors will face off in every aspect of the CHS curriculum, culminating in the elimination equation finale.

All four school officials were standing in a line in the lobby. Crystal Prep Academy with (R/N), Sci-Twi, and the Shadowbolts were on the left. Canterlot High with (Y/N), Sunset, and the Rainbooms were on the right.

Dean Cadance: Welcome to the first event, the Academic Decathlon! You'll be scored on chemistry, home-ec and everything in between. But remember, only the seven students from each team with the most points will move on to event number 2. Good luck!

The screen tiles itself with two vertical panels—(Y/N) on right, (R/N) on left, glaring at each other with open hostility. (R/N) elbows (Y/N)'s panel away, and the other six key players on his side fall in behind as he smugly crosses his arms.

♪ Wondercolts: Ho! We're gonna take you down ♪

Two horizontal panels, Indigo Zap and Lemon Zest pull goggles over their eyes for lab safety.

♪ Ho! We're gonna take you down ♪

A Bunsen burner is then seen being lit. Behind it, a chemistry lab fades into view. The camera then pans quickly along the benchtop, framing the Rainbooms in lab coats and goggles.

Five vertical panels of dimly lit Shadowbolts then slide into view

♪ Take you down! (Ho! We're gonna take you down!) ♪

♪ Take you down! (Down, down, down) ♪

The view splits horizontally into three sections, which swivel 180 degrees to give close-up of three rubber-gloved hands snapping fingers. These belong to a dimly lit Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack from top to bottom and each pulls on a pair of goggles.

♪ Shadowbolts: (Oh oh!) We're here to take you out ♪

The ceiling of the lab, tilting down to Fluttershy at work among the glassware. Celestia, Luna, and Cadence smile and take notes on clipboards.

♪ (Aw aw!) We're here to take you out (Aw aw!) ♪

The screen tiles itself with six panes, each showing a flask filled with solution as they change colors in unison, and the panes rotate to show the Rainbooms holding test tubes.

♪ Take you out! (We're here to take you out!) ♪

The other Wondercolts are shown and the camera zooms in on Derpy just in time for her tube to explode in her face. She grins sheepishly through the resulting layer of soot and her blown-back hair.

Pinkie is now seen wearing an apron and two mitts in place of her lab gear, and throws a couple of punches before ingredients are measured and mixed and an oven adjusted. All competitors have changed into similar gear for this round.

♪ Wondercolts: We're not about to let you win, so get out of our way ♪

♪ Think you got us beat, but we're here to stay ♪