Chapter 5

Cassian had turned to look at him. Calix had just asked him to stay and spoken in another language again.

Cassian couldn't just leave so he sat at the edge of the bed. Calix snorted.

"Come here, you oaf."

Calix pulled him down, into the pile of blankets and warmth and hugged him.

Calix had his arms around Cassian's waist, his legs tangled with Cassian's and his head lay on Cassian's chest.

He needed to calm down.

Breathe.

It's fine.

If you don't calm down then Calix will realise something is wrong, then he'll figure out your Mates and then he's gonna hate you for the rest of his life and after it.

Turns out, he didn't need to hide his blushing face or ever rising heartbeat because Calix had fallen asleep. He had fallen asleep on Cassian.

Cassian draped his wings around them. He fell asleep soon after. A few moments later, Azriel came in, looking for Cassian. He found him.

He called Mor over and pointed at them. They're legs were tangled together, Calix had his arms loosely held around Cassian's waist and his head rested on Cassian's chest. Cassian had a hand in Calix's hair, the other clutching at his waist, and his wings draped around them.

The two grinned at each other.

"They're so cute." Morrigan squealed and Azriel was forced to quieten her before they woke up.

"I know, I know. Now we just need to get them to tell each other that they love each other."

Mor frowned, "Was that supposed to make sense or what?"

"We make them say 'I love you'." Azriel explained as if he were speaking to a child.

"Oh, okay!"

Cassian shuffled and groaned, pushing his face into Calix's hair. Azriel quickly shooed Morrigan away and followed after, not wanting to wake them up.

Azriel left a note on the table and he and Mor left.

A few hours later, Cassian woke up in the same position. He watched as Calix pressed closer to him, as he nuzzled his face into Cassian's neck. He was so. . . Normal. Like they always did this.

It wasn't normal to him. Cassian was used to one night stands, to leaving early in the morning. He hadn't been shown the better side of love. The one where he woke up next to someone that would still be there the next day, to someone he could spend his whole life just staring at.

But Calix didn't know. He didn't know that they were Mates, he didn't know that Cassian loved him before they even met, he didn't know that Cassian would be fine with it if they were just friends as long as he could see Calix again.

Before Cassian had any more time to think such depressing thoughts, Butterfly ran in and jumped on them.

"Papa! Papa! Wake up! Papa!"

They shook Calix's shoulders and Calix groaned and pulled Butterfly close to him.

Calix sat up and rubbed his eyes, Butterfly still in his lap.

"I am so sorry. You probably had stuff to do a-"

"No. It's fine. I liked it."

Cassian said it so awkwardly. So, so awkwardly. Calix didn't even seem to notice.

They got up, Calix holding Butterfly at his hip, and walked into the kitchen.

Calix placed Butterfly into a chair, specifically designed for babies, and climbed onto the counter, swinging his feet. Cassian was the first to notice the note.

We've gone back to Velaris.
Didn't want to wake you.

That was all.

Cassian showed Calix the note and turned away.

Suddenly, Azriel appeared, out of the shadows, making Butterfly laugh and clap their hands.

"Cassian. Rhys is back."

"I'm coming! Calix, you can come if you want to."

"Um. . . Sure?"

That was all it took for Cassian to grab his hand and pull Butterfly close as Azriel shadowed them away.

"F*** me!" Calix yelped.

Cassian might have forgotten how strange it was to travel by shadow to others. He was used to it, having spent most of his life with Az. Calix took Butterfly from him, sending that something was about to happen.

And there he was. Rhys. He looked the same as when he left. Cassian choked on a sob and rushed to pull him into a spine-crushing hug.

"Cass, you're gonna break my back." Rhys said, his voice thick with tears.

"Woah, woah, woah. This is the High Lord?"

Rhys raised a brow, "Who is this?"

"Local wh***, nice to meet you." Calix sent a sarcastic smile towards Rhys.

"Oh, I like him."

Cassian's heart warmed as he watched Calix smile. Cassian didn't realise how much he needed that.