Chapter 3

Cassian knew it was freaky to watch someone. He knew. But when the boy smiled and laughed and the way his face brightened when he heard the rumours, he needed to know why he was so entranced with the boy, why he plagued his thoughts.

He had learnt that Calix had a child. He had heard Calix call the child Butterfly but surely that could not be their name?

He had already asked Azriel to find out as much as he could on Calix. Maybe the boy had a spell on him, one that made him the centre of your thoughts? Or one that made you think he was beautiful?

Although, when Cassian asked, Azriel said that he didn't have any sort of spells on him. All he did was smile, shake his head and call Cassian stupid for not realising. Realising what exactly?

Cassian was currently working up the courage to talk to Calix. Wait. Why was he working up the courage? Was he afraid? What kind of pathetic General would that make him? He went to talk to the boy.

Calix was on his way to pick up Butterfly when Cassian had approached him.

"The rumours are true."

That was all he said. What else was there? It wasn't like he was Mor or something.

Calix nodded, "Good."

They walked in silence.

Why did Cassian decided to talk to Calix. This was stressful. And Cassian never got stressed. He was carefree.

Cassian didn't even realise when they arrived in front of the nursery.

A child ran up to Calix and- wait. Was that a glamour? Yes. There was a glamour on the child's back. Why was there a glamour there?

"Are you Papa's friend? Papa doesn't have any boy friends."

Calix sighed and picked the child up, resting them on his hip.

"He's the General, γλυκά."

Cassian was too stunned to speak. The child had been way too blunt but adding on the fact that Calix just spoke a different language. Cassian couldn't function properly. 

Calix frowned, "Close your mouth, you'll catch flies."

He leaned forward and pushed Cassian's mouth shut. That was the first time Calix ever touched him. And f***, Cassian wanted him to do it again.

Cassian walked them both home. He listened to the child's babbling about everything and everyone, this one knew how to gossip, and watched as Calix nodded and smiled and laughed.

After Calix closed the door, Cassian came to a sudden realisation.

There was a tugging in his core.

There was a golden glowing bond.

Calix was his mate.

Calix was his f***ing mate!

Cassian flew back home in a hurry, crashing into trees and falling and flailing his arms around.

His mate was Calix. Calix with his beautiful eyes, long lashes to match. Calix with his choppy, messy hair. Calix with his kind smile. One that Cassian swore had some form of sun in it.

Calix with his restless hands. Calix with his schedule, filled to the brim. Calix with his bravery. Calix with his heart.

Cassian had finally reached the townhouse. Lucky for him, everyone had decided to gather there today.

He crashed though the door, panting.

Azriel leapt from his seat, Mor rushed to him and Amren raised her brow.

"Cassian what's wrong? Are you okay?"

"He's my mate."