week sixteen

THURSDAY

Kenny was pacing around triple checking everything. My parents were due any minute now, and Kenny looked like she might have a heart attack at any moment.

I quickly walked up to her before she began her fourth round of things and squeezed her arms, "Kenny. Everything is beautiful. You have more than enough servers and back staff to make sure everything is okay. The planner got her an hour ago, and already ran through the checklist, three times. That means everything has been checked six times now. I need you to go powder your nose before my mother gets here and makes a comment about your appearance. Please." I smiled at her as sincerely as possible and she let out a heavy sigh.

"Okay, I'll go do that. Thank you, Lacey."

I nodded and watched as she walked away. I walked over to the bar and grabbed a glass of champagne, sipping it slowly. I definitely didn't want to overdo it tonight, but I needed something to help me loosen up. I was so nervous about seeing Harry. About being in the same room with him and my parents. With all of society who I knew was aware of what had occurred at our Thanksgiving thanks to the Reeds.

"Champagne?" Mark said, coming up to take one himself.

"I'm going to pace myself, I just, feel nervous." I turned to him as he downed the entire glass and raised both my eyebrows, "Which I see you completely understand."

He chuckled softly and nodded, "I just don't want a fight. I don't want mom to make Kenny feel bad."

"I think it'll be fine, Mark. I'll lay low as well. It's going to be hard, because his friends are now mine, but I'll be good."

"The guest bedroom, in the back, it'll be locked at all times, umm, God I cannot believe I'm doing this," he turned to me and handed me a key, "If you want to talk to him. Just, here."

I stared at it, taking it and slipping it in my clutch, "Okay. Thank you."

He nodded, reaching for another glass, and as he took it to his lips I placed my hand on his arm, "Let's sip this one. Okay?"

He chuckled and nodded, sipping his champagne. My mother and father arrived shortly after. My mother walked around, looking over everything. She made minor adjustments to everything, but I knew it was just for show. I believed Kenny did as well but she kept thanking my mother every time.

After some time, everyone began arriving. I was still on my same glass of champagne but it was helping me stay off the edge. Soon Liza and the girls were by my side and we were laughing at how many times my mom managed to purse her lips at anyone or anything.

"Well look here mates, I found the corner where they keep the prettiest ladies." Niall's voice boomed as he and the boys approached us. I quickly glanced over the boys, noticing Harry wasn't with them. I sipped my champagne and scanned the room as the boys said hi to the girls.

Niall came up to me and threw his arm around me, whispering in my ear, "He's coming with his parents."

I turned and looked at him, "I don't know what you are talking about Horan."

He laughed and sipped what looked like whiskey on ice, "Whatever you say Burket."

I looked down and chuckled softly, "Thanks."

Soon the boys were in on my mom and her pursing lips and it became a drinking game. Each of us took a sip every time she did and soon I was on my fourth glass. The moment I took my last sip of it, the Styles walked in.

I felt like everything froze when I saw him. Liza was right, he looked amazing. He wore a black suit with dark green trimming, his hair was brushed back except for that stubborn wave. I felt my heart beat into my throat and I attempted to take a deep breath. I quickly scanned the room for my parents, and was shocked to see them already making their way over with Mark.