week twelve

MONDAY

Monday evening after class we made our way to my chemo session. Harry held my hand tightly, and I could feel his nerves.

"I just want to warn you, I've been throwing up a lot the past two times. So just be prepared for that. And I get really cold, hence all the layers."

He looked at me and nodded, turning away to look straight ahead.

"And you can leave, or walk out if it gets uncomfortable at any time. I'm down to only an hour of treatment, so I hope it won't be too bad. And this is the last week, and then we give my body a rest, okay?"

He nodded and squeezed my hand as we walked into Dr. Myer's office.

When the nurse walked me in the back, she looked at me then back at Harry, I could see the conflict in her eyes.

"It's okay. He knows." I said softly and she nodded, walking me to the back.

"Okay Miss Lacey, get comfortable in your chair, I'll be right back to set you up okay?"

I nodded and pulled my blanket out of my bag, placed it along the seat and slipped on another sweater, leaving my left arm out.

Harry looked at my arm, a small bruise from the previous treatments could be seen, "How didn't I notice that?" He shook his head, running his fingers through his hair.

"Baby, please don't wrack your head about this, okay? I'm really good at hiding this. Please don't make it your fault." I pleaded with my eyes and he nodded, reaching out and holding my hand.

The nurse came back and set everything up, handing me a small bucket in case I threw up. I sat back and closed my eyes, relaxing.

Fifteen minutes in, I was throwing up. Harry rubbed my back as I did, and I didn't realize how much better I felt knowing he was there, knowing I had someone there with me.

At the forty five minute mark I felt exhausted. Today was worse than any other time and I couldn't get warm enough. I felt tears fall from my eyes, and for the first time I felt worried I wasn't getting better. I turned to look at Harry, and his eyes were bloodshot. He had been holding it together, but I knew it was killing him.

When we finished, he helped me to my feet and we walked out together. We were supposed to go tell Mark about moving in together tonight, but decided against it, because there was no way I could disguise it tonight.

When we got to his place, he lifted me up in his arms and carried me the rest of the way to his bedroom. Our bedroom. I couldn't help but smile at the thought. He laid me on the bed and got in with me, holding me close to him.

"Baby, you have to get better." He whispered, I could feel the pain in his voice.

"I will. Just wait and see."

TUESDAY

I made my way to Mark's alone on Tuesday night. Harry had forgotten about a paper due at midnight and needed to get it done.

I got to the loft and it smelled wonderful, a batch of cookies on the kitchen nook. Kenny was sitting at the table eating one.

"Oh, hey Lace. Taylor dropped them off."

I pouted, "I can't believe I missed her. Are they the chai ones?"

She nodded, taking another bite, and I quickly bit into mine. It tasted delicious, "Is Mark home?" I said covering my mouth.

"He's showering, should be out soon."

I nodded, taking another bite and looking around the loft.

"Is everything okay Lacey?"