Chapter 13 - Lies and Consequences

Author's Note: WARNING: This is a heavy chapter. Please make sure you're in the right place to read it – all tags have been put there for a reason + a one off cw for this chapter for blood. It's still T rated and nothing too graphic, but eh, while I'm warning I'll warn for that too.

*   *   *   *   *

When Childe and Romanski at last returned to the campgrounds, the first two squads had already arrived, the air alive with the scraping of boxes and the shuffling of equipment as the new arrivals assisted in packing up the campsite. A makeshift medical tent had been erected in the centre, a few bodies laid out on the frayed, creaking camp beds.

"Lord Harbinger!" called Anton, approaching them at a jog. "Were you successful?"

"Pfft, would you really doubt a Harbinger? Of course I was!" Childe gestured back toward the tunnel. "There's a passage up that way that's opened up. Should be able to get everyone out through that."

"That's great news," said Anton. "Are you going to address the troops?" He paused, taking a narrowed glance at Romanski. "And this troublemaker didn't cause you any issues, did he? I will make sure to discipline him if so."

It was a deep, impulsive urge that pushed Childe to step between Anton and Romanski, his voice a low growl when he spoke, "He was a fine warrior, so don't you touch him. You'll leave him be."

A crackling pressure settled in the air, heavy and static as though a thunderstorm might be about to descend, and Childe's body curled forward, combat-ready and riled with energy.

Anton stepped back, hands held up defensively. "Yes, sir. Of course, sir. I didn't mean anything by it. I'll go and gather the troops for you now, sir."

"You do that."

"Yes, sir." Anton dashed off across the camp and Childe let the prickling volatility drain from his body.

He straightened and shifted closer to Romanski, pulling an arm around his shoulder to speak closely in his ear. "Hey, you tell me if they give you any trouble, alright?"

Romanski's hand found Childe's shoulder and he grinned up at him. "Will do, thanks."

Once they were out of here, Childe was going to make any arrangements necessary to give this kid everything he could need: specialist training, plenty of leave for trips to return home, solid mentorship.

Maybe he'd gotten a little attached, but what was the harm?

Childe followed in the direction Anton had fled, Romanski tailing behind, to arrive at the mass of Fatui crowding the centremost tent, ushered into place by Anton. Two carts were parked in front of it, packed with crates and barrels secured with a thick, woven rope. Another cart sat behind them, abandoned half loaded as the Fatui broke from their tasks to crowd in front of the entrance.

Weaving through the ranks, Childe had to jump to avoid an agent bursting through to fling his arms around the shoulders of an electro cicin mage, her head bandaged and her arm secured in a sling, but otherwise still standing.

"Katya! I didn't think I'd– I mean, we thought we wouldn't be seeing you again after you–"

She placed a hand against his chest, eyes lowered as she pushed him softly backward. "It is what it is, Tolya. The Lord Harbinger has summoned us now, so I am here. I forget not my duty."

Childe pulled his eyes from the scene. It was but another of the many consequences the Qixing had knowingly inflicted upon his people.

A consequence that Rex Lapis allowed them to inflict.