Chapter 8 - Two Men, One Starconch

"Phew, that's a lotta slimes."

"Indeed. Hence why I thought you would enjoy the opportunity."

"You're the best, xiansheng."

"I am glad you think so."

Standing at a cliff edge, Childe and Zhongli looked down into a makeshift pen sunk deep in a pit, walls of geo constructed within in to contain the bouncing mass of slimes. Some were large, some were small, and some spewed glowing globs of lava from their innards, melting and oozing over the charred, brown grass.

Childe rolled his shoulder, stretching out his eager muscles.

Best. Birthday. Ever.

He tested drawing hydro into his palms, and the surging force was fiercer than any power he'd experienced without resorting to his Foul Legacy form. It swirled under his command and the sheer potency was addicting. He would have to get his hands on more of this oil before his next mission.

As he took a step toward the edge, Zhongli's arm held him back.

"There is one more thing," said Zhongli. With a flick of his wrist, a glowing barrier of geo emerged around Childe, glowing lattices of gold and brown, humming with ancient power.

"Woah." Childe reached out to touch it, finding his arm could pass straight through, leaving his movement during combat unhindered. "So this is one of your super-Archon-Geo-barriers! Thanks!"

Zhongli folded his arms. "I know not as to which Archon you are referring to, but it is indeed a sturdy and secure geo barrier that I guarantee will not break." Then a small smile. "Please, have fun, Childe."

"See you on the other side, xiansheng!" Childe gave a mock salute and dived in, catching his descent on a jet of hydro, carrying him above the congregation of slimes. He dropped, summoning his blades, which sat sharper and lighter in his hands than usual, his skin buzzing as the oil hummed over it.

Landing in the centre, he merged his blades into a polearm, launching it in a 360 degree arc. The nearby slimes exploded, splattering their matter across the ground and coating Childe in a layer of ooze.

Childe cackled.

The immediate area cleared, the more distant slimes hopped toward him to avenge their fallen companions, but he was ready. Switching to his bow, hydro concentrated on the tip of his arrow in a mere second, and he loosed a flurry of infused arrows into the masses.

Instant destruction was the slimes' fate, hydro ripping them apart from the inside out to join their former comrades in a puddle of gloop.

Less than half remained. Childe wiped a stray trail of slime from his face and drew his blades once more. The arrows were fun, but this was power, this was strength. And he couldn't get enough of it.

He summoned a wave to power him forward, launching into the most concentrated area with a tidal blast. He set to work. His blades were weightless and lethal, a single touch obliterating each foe from within. The thrum of the oil was empowering, each move consuming half the stamina than if he hadn't had its strength to draw upon.

As he fought, he watched. He watched the furthest slimes approach, edging closer and closer to his range. An attacking slime glanced harmlessly off of Zhongli's barrier as the final one entered his circle of death, and Childe shifted effortlessly to his polearm, sending forth another arcing burst. He connected, his laughter uncontrollable as a splatter of hydro and pyro and goo decorated the air like fireworks.

Stowing his weapons, Childe grinned as the final slime bounced across the ground before exploding in a sad splat.

It was done.