Chapter 2 - Fifty Hues of Grey

Childe stepped through the doorway and past Zhongli, the door clicking shut behind him. He pulled off his boots, stopping short when he went to place them down, finding himself faced with his pair of blue slippers. He'd thought that Zhongli would've gotten rid of them after the Osial affair, when their seven nights a week spent in each other's company had dwindled to none, but there they sat, the embroidered narwhals on the front staring up at him just as he'd left them. Shaking off the peculiar feelings they stirred, he slipped his feet into them and followed Zhongli into the living room.

Zhongli gestured to the armchair that Childe used to sit in during his previous visits. "Please, make yourself at home," he said, "I was in the middle of brewing some tea but, as they say, such things are considerably more enjoyable when shared with friends. I shall return momentarily."

Childe sat, sinking into the familiarity of the situation as though no time had passed between them. Zhongli's home was just as he remembered it: shelves full of clusters of ornamental creatures, their carefully crafted faces peering out at him; the same furniture sat in the living room, with the same vase – the one that Childe had once bought him – in its same position at the centre of the coffee table; and the floral aroma of a brewing tea that floated in the air, mellow and soothing.

Returning with a tray containing a large teapot and two china teacups, Zhongli set it down upon the coffee table. He poured them each a cup – Childe's full to the brim, just as he liked it – and sat in the chair next to Childe, regarding him with a calm, even gaze.

"Now," he said, "what is this business about me pretending to be in a relationship with you, Childe?"

"Well, it's a bit complicated, but you're aware of the new decree issued by the Qixing, I assume?"

"Indeed I am; all residents were sent a copy at the time it was approved, such is the procedure in Liyue to ensure all its citizens are aware of the laws which they are required to uphold."

"Huh, that sure sounds different to how it works in Snezhnaya."

Zhongli gave an amused huff. "I am certain that it is. In any case, I assume that you have come to me due to said decree causing you some manner of issue, if I'm correct?"

"You might say that." Childe took a sip of his tea and replaced the cup on the tray. The taste sat light and sweet on his tongue, which was unexpected; tea had tasted wrong since the day he'd awakened Osial. He'd presumed it a strange side effect from his usage of the Foul Legacy Transformation in the Golden House, but sitting there in Zhongli's home, it tasted just as good as it had all those months prior.

How peculiar.

"I am still unclear as to how this pertains to a relationship between us." Zhongli set his cup down, topping up both his and Childe's without first asking if Childe would say yes – he always did.

"I'll spare you the details, xiansheng, but I've been having a little trouble getting a permit to stay here in Liyue. Long story short, I spoke to Yanfei and in her opinion the only way I'm going to be able to stay is if I get a relationship permit. Which made me think, uh–" His mouth was drying out again "–perhaps we should pretend to date, so I can get the permit and stay in Liyue, y'know?"

"I see," said Zhongli.

"It'd be completely fake, so you wouldn't have to do anything!" Childe's ears again grew hot under Zhongli's stare and he knew that they were turning the embarrassing shade of red that they always did. "You can rest assured, I don't have secret feelings for you or anything weird like that, it'd be strictly for the permit."

"Naturally."

Childe swallowed as Zhongli far-too-slowly drank another mouthful of his tea, bringing the teacup to rest in the palm of his free hand with a soft "hmm". It was a simple suggestion, all Zhongli had to provide was a simple yes or no answer – what was so difficult about it?