FRANZ LISZT - LIEBESTRAUM NO. 3 IN A FLAT MAJOR, S. 541/3

he couldn't sleep at night.

he tried, with great effort, and yet not once could he rid of the thoughts and images all connected to you. ever since that night chishiya was left feeling at ease, coming to terms with himself and accepting that with time he'd be able to overcome his lack of sympathy. but if that were the case, what feeling began to plague his chest and stomach? that left him feeling anxious each time he thought of you and yet craved to meet you sooner than time allowed?

he didn't understand, not even when his mood seemed to lighten when spotting your figure seated on the bench nor when you flashed him a smile rivaling the sun. chishiya also began to take notes of things he hadn't before. the way you chewed the end of your pencils when deep in concentration, the small fidgets of your body when not playing your instrument, the light tapping of your fingers on any surface while you appeared to be recalling a melody. he noticed all these things, and begrudgingly enough he kept it safe in the confines of his mind. even the surprising shock of his body when in touch with yours gave no hints to his questions.

he inquired to his friend kuina about it, who merely laughed at his face without an ounce of shame. 'you have a crush' she said, leaving him even more confused than before. and agitated.

he denied it, for how could he be a fool to take a liking to someone other than simple admiration? surely she was just teasing him, perhaps to get a kick out of the facial expression he had made upon registering her words. no, chishiya didn't give his heart out to anybody, much less a pianist who couldn't hear.

he wanted to leave, abandon you in hopes he could tear off the butterflies wings and crumple the fantasy his heart seemed to stubbornly long for. and yet it was he who grew disappointed when leaving you each day at the same time, and he who seemed to extend the hours spent in your presence. he hated it, how for the first time it was his heart he began to listen to.

chishiya still didn't understand, perhaps kuina was wrong and he didn't develop feelings for you. but as he lay in bed, recalling the image of a smile he grew to adore, he did know that you were the one good thing in these borderlands, and the one good thing he wished to save.