CHOPIN - RAINDROP PRELUDE (OP. 28 NO. 15)

you grew used to his company that appeared almost every evening and every night. when the sun was at its highest point in the sky he'd greet you with a small wave, figure closing the distance between you two. his seat was right beside you, silent as his eyes remain fixated on the movement of your fingers and the warmth of your thighs pressed against each other. he rarely spoke, and if he did it was with a small tap on your shoulder to gain your attention paired with the pronunciation of his lips or a piece of paper to better display his thoughts. and when the moon rose, you'd lock eyes with him up at the balcony, still giving you his signature wave that made your lips quirk up in response.

you learned that his name was chishiya, similar to the cat in your fairy tails of childhood dreams. quite ironically he fit the personality of the fiction he was named after, with the same intelligent gaze and the smirk that always seemed to be resting on his lips when talking to other beach members. overtime you realized he never initiated his own conversations, and tended to stay away from the inhabitants. it would begin to confuse you, for it seemed he was the one always putting himself before your presence when clearly he wasn't getting anything out of it. you used to wonder in the beginning, suspicious if completely honest, but as time went on you decided to just let things be and instead appreciate his person right beside your own.

you still believed him strange however, that much would never change.

it was another evening after a long night of games, lips set into a deep frown and face scrunching at the uncomfortable feeling of something plugging your eardrums. numerous times you had adjusted the hearing aids supposed to block the noises, and yet nothing seemed to cease the loud ringing that bashed against your ear. it stayed during the night filled with toss and turns as well as the morning when you went to breakfast to eat alone. even as you retreated to your instrument to distract yourself from it all.

chishiya arrived not long after, taking his seat beside you on the bench and waiting for you to start. if he realized your uncomfortable and rather agitated state he made no notes on it, leaving you to release your frustration on the keys before you. you made no moves to initiate a conversation either.

loud thumps, relentless shaking, all would be produced as you banged against the white and black spaces while disregarding the actual pace and volume fit for the song. faster and faster, harsh movements masking the silent prayers that you'd hear something, anything to drown out the ringing that only seemed to grow louder. the instrument shook with the force in which you played and you grit your teeth, tears beginning to prick the corners of your eyes at the realization that your attempts were all futile and no answers were sent to your questions.

it was exactly this moment that reminded your being that you were as fake as the male beside you. why do you play? what had been in your parents thoughts when they threw their child into a hobby that gave them nothing? surely it couldn't be for silence that greeted you each time you placed your hands on the keys, nor for the concerts or awards you received back in the real world. it all meant nothing to you, not when it was a constant reminder that you were giving a part of yourself to something that would never gift you anything back.

you only ceased your movements when a hand placed its fingers on your wrist, gentle and light and gone just as quick as it was there. you kept your glare directed before you, dropping your hands as you furiously wiped the tears that brimmed your eyes. you hated it, allowing him to see you in such a state. you had tried so hard to keep yourself composed in hopes that no one would know the truth behind your performances, music and character alike. but this man, he was bare to witness it all.

eventually you slumped forward, allowing your forehead to rest against the cool temperatures of the glass and breathe out a shaky breath to calm the rapid beating of your heart. you closed your eyes, still scrunched as it was still uncomfortable to now only focus on the pressure. you hoped that eventually you could depart to dream away the worries that burned your shoulders.

you blinked, surprised when two hands covered the appendages you grew to hate in the midst of your thoughts. you didn't dare to move, afraid the comfort it brought you would disappear if you made any sudden movements. in reality the action would do nothing to quell what was agitating you, and yet it still felt as if chishiya taking an attempt to relieve your struggles helped far more than this piano did. than anything anyone has tried to do.

instead you closed your eyes once more, until it was the only thing you could feel lulling you to sleep.