Chapter 77 - Deep Breath Before the Plunge

"That is quite remarkable." Darunia commented, scratching his chin with obvious interest. "I never quite understood why our forefathers made a pact with the Hylian royal family. We were tasked to come to their aid in times of dire need and to protect the holy relic given to us, the Goron Ruby. Now it all makes sense as to why we do what we do."

Zelda nodded her head at his comprehension, "Indeed. I left the protection and care of my future legacy to one of my trusted servants, Ballos."

Link interjected abruptly, "You mean the same Ballos the Nevachreans are supposedly worshipping as a god?"

She shook her head as she gripped her right elbow with her hand. "I don't believe so. I think Barrachas and whatever other demons he was working with, managed to steal the mask of the champion. They must have known who Ballos was and simply used his name as the god of the mask." She grimaced with contempt, "To think they would use such holy and just names and objects for their vile deeds. His name is probably tainted forever, with it being aligned with the abhorrent power that was given to the Nevachreans through the mask of the champion."

"It is a common enemy tactic." Nabooru explained, placing a hand to her hip. "You take what the enemy holds dear and you twist and malign it to the point they either do not trust it or consider it detrimental to their survival."

Link rummaged around in his rucksack and pulled out the mask of Ballos, or rather, the mask of his own face from a lifetime ago. "So this mask once held the power, courage and heroism that my former self once had?"

Zelda indicated that this was true, "I believe so. They have marred its surface and polluted its holy nature. It no longer has the power to do much of anything except make more soldiers who cannot die. It's awful."

Link looked down with a mixture of sorrow and anger. What a cruel blow to strike, to destroy something that was once supposed to be a symbol of courage and hope. They all stood around in a circle; silence pervading their group, save for the slight whisper of wind through the cave opening. The blizzard had abated but they were still no closer to their goal. The thought of crossing the chasm did not seem altogether appealing to them.

Cayla broke the silence first as she faced Link directly, "So are you willing to offer a more reasonable explanation for your actions last night?" Her countenance was firm and unyielding, but the former anger and rage was no longer present in her eyes. The time off from the group seemed to have done her well.

Link's mouth dropped open, "You want to talk about all that now?"

Crossing her arms, she waved a hand amongst the rest of the group, "I don't see why not. It is a good time as any. Besides, if we are all supposed to trust each other with regards to completing this mission, we have to know the reasons for your deviant actions. For all I know, you could assault me next in my sleep." Darunia had to cough heavily to avoid guffawing heartily at her allegation.

Xavier snorted in disgust, "What 'usiness is it of 'ours? He is full 'rown man, he can mate with 'hom he wants!"

"Not helping Xavier!" Zelda and Link rebuked in unison, both glaring at the clueless Cyn'Taak. Seeing that her opinion was unneeded, she growled and lumbered off to guard the cave entrance, suddenly content to looking out over the snowy landscape.

Seeing no way out of this mess, Zelda sighed before beginning first, "It was my fault. I asked him to come with me to the lake just down that tunnel and help me relive my past self."

Cayla grunted in assent of what she had already guessed, there was no way Zelda could have known about her past unless Link had been the one to initiate the ritual. "You do know that only a Sheikah is supposed to assist the reincarnated Goddess in remembering her true self? Did Impa not tell you this?"