Chapter 38 - Conspirators in Crime

The uproar they had caused in the camp was notable. The two of them landed amidst the multitude of burly men, demanding that they be taken to their leader. None of the men needed any more incentive to slice their throats than that. The first few attackers were either frozen into blocks of ice and immediately shattered or burnt to nothing but ashes, the rest of the brutes stayed a healthy distance back after that first skirmish. With great reluctance, they escorted the two hags to the central, spired tent residing towards the front of the horde.

Naar glanced up from his locket. Quickly snapping it shut before tucking it back into his armor, wiping a swift tear from his cheek. Mentally steeling himself for dealing with the arrogant interruption, he stormed up to the guard before snapping, "I requested that I was not to be disturbed at this time! Why do you bring this mess in here?" He roared as he dismissively flicking his hand in the direction of the two females.

"You should honestly have a bit more respect for your elders!" Kotake fumed as she sidestepped past the guard and brazenly entered the tent.

"We come with great tidings and this is how we are treated? Tsk, tsk, sister, they really do need to be taught a lesson!" Koume scoffed as she followed behind her sister. Naar's eyes opened wide at their shameless behavior.

"You have five seconds to explain what it is you are doing here before I reduce you to nothing but dirt!" Naar threatened with growing malevolence to his tone.

"Ho, ho, ho, quite a temper we have on this one!" Kotake joked with her sister.

"He, he, he, I think we've dealt with this before, haven't we?" Koume agreed jovially.

Angered at their impertinence, he swiftly summoned a gladius before swinging it down upon the head of the nearest hag. The sword shattered in his hand as it struck the barrier the witch was able to conjure at the last second. Shards went flying everywhere as Naar was knocked flat onto his rear from the blow. Within seconds he blasted them both with a beam of pure energy. The two sisters retaliated with a blend of their magicks. The two forces collided at the center of the tent, pulsing outward a huge shockwave that reached the furthest edges of the camp. The guard was knocked completely unconscious by the discharge.

"You have some skill you filthy witches, I will give you that!" Naar exclaimed.

Naar knew power when he saw it. The two witches were calm and determined to win the battle of wills. He always respected opponents who had as much power as he did. He respected them even more when they finally fell to his blade. With great exertion, he stood back up to his feet and pressed forward towards the women, his power palpitating in waves towards their combined energy. Little beads of sweat began to form on their temples, clear signs that he was ultimately winning. He smirked as they attempted to redouble their efforts.

The fire witch ducked out of the conflict before levitating off to his right, she conjured a fireball and hurled it at him. He rolled out of the way silencing his own attack. The ice witch free to move once more, attempted to head him off at the pass. The table behind him burst into flames as the chair in front hardened into solid ice. Both witches were floating in the air summoning more balls of deadly magick. With the deftness from decades of practice, Naar called two daggers into his hands.

He swiftly threw them at each witch, so concentrated they were on casting they didn't notice the daggers until they were embedded into their shoulders. The magick evaporated into the air as they collapsed to the floor. Naar huffed as he paced up to the miscreant hags, he was going to enjoy killing them. He hadn't felt this challenged in a good, long while.

"Stop! We can help you!" Kotake raised up a hand, erecting a quick barrier around them both.

Naar raised an eyebrow at this unforeseen twist. He had half expected them to be assassins making a futile attempt on his life. "Go on." He commanded calmly.