Chapter 50 - Gaining Entrance

She yelped as she sucked hard on her thumb, she had pricked herself with the needle when she was threading the weave. She couldn't recall how long it had been since she started this project, at least a few orbits before leaving the Gerudo Fortress? Grumbling at her lack of memory, she stabbed the needle back into the fabric, trailing her path up the seam to connect the two pieces together. She took the fabric with her, hoping she would find time along the way to work on it for him.

"What are you doing?" Link asked quizzically, craning his head to look over her shoulder.

Malon shrieked as she stuffed the project into her knapsack. He clapped a hand to her mouth to prevent unfriendly ears from hearing, although it may already be too late. "Don't scare me like that!" She huffed as he withdrew his hand.

"What were you working on?" Link smirked, pointing at the bag. He had obviously seen something but couldn't really decipher what exactly it was.

She grinned back, "None of your business!"

"And you picked now, of all times, to start working on it?" Link asked incredulously.

Indeed, they had traveled far these past few moons. Finding Glaun'rung had been relatively easy, even with Ingo's help. They simply traveled eastward until they hit the roving line of traveling brutes and then headed south from there. The closer they got to the capital, the sparser the groups of men became. Either they had finally reached the end of the army or there were acquiring fewer bodies to add to it.

Despite a few minor skirmishes with the horde upon being discovered as they traveled southward, the journey had been relatively smooth. Xavier was to account for most of that. Wild animals avoided them outright and preferred easier prey. The Cyn'Taak had already proven itself a worthy addition to their team as it tore into the hapless men. Link and Zelda were worried that after it got its first taste of blood from a Huma, it might begin looking at them differently. Thankfully it considered the two of them its parents and the rest of the group, its pack.

They were now within walking distance from the walls of Glaun'rung. They were hidden amongst the shrubs on the outer fringes of the tree line just west of the city. Ingo had advised them to wait in concealment as he boldly stepped forward to gain entry into the capital, that had been several hours ago. It seemed he was let in easy enough, but now as the night wore on they were getting worried. It was then that Link noticed Malon was missing and went to go find her. She was illogically working on something.

Malon gestured with her hand towards the city wall, "It's not like I have anything better to do! He's been gone for several hours and who knows when he'll show up again! I felt it a good time to work on something personal of mine." She finished with a defensive look.

"Well, if it's that important, then I have to see it!" Link said with glee.

"Oh, no you don't!" She jeered as she flopped over her pack as he pounced on her.

Within moments, they were a flurry of limbs as Link tried to reach around Malon and dive his hands into the bag. She utilized all the strength she had just to keep him away from it. The tussle quickly devolved into fits of laughter and mayhem. With one final roll, they laid on the grass next to each other, winded and beat.

As their merriment slowly winded down, Link turned his head to face her. Malon's eyes were shining even in the darkness. He smiled. She would have never been able to romp like that over a week ago. Her wound had healed nicely. Perching himself up on an elbow, he leaned over her with palpable intent in his eyes. She looked up longingly and did little to resist. Ignoring their current situation entirely, they merged together for the kiss. After having been denied for so long, on this trip of being close to each other alone; their inner furnaces were lit with an unquenchable thirst. Link pressed his lips hard onto Malon's as his tongue fought for entry. She wrapped her legs around him tightly as she positioned him over her.