My Best Interest

When Zuko finally returns to the ship a day later I am beyond furious at him. I could hear him behind the door talking to the guards, and from what I could hear telling them they could leave. I could then hear a knock on the other side of the door but I refused to answer. "Honna, let me in," I could hear Zuko from the other side and I scoffed at him. "Since when do you need my permission," I say not removing my eyes from the book on Sign Language in front of me.

The door creaked open, but I refused to waste my time with him. "Honna, I did what I had to do. You needed to rest," Zuko insists "So, you treat me like a prisoner?" I ask still not taking my eyes away from the book I was hardly reading. Zuko growled in frustration before grabbing my book and throwing it. "You want to hurt yourself more fine! See if I care!" he shouts before leaving my room, letting the door slam shut behind him.

Five days passed without Zuko or I speaking, and I refused to even search for the Avatar out of spite. Today it seemed for whatever reason he wanted to ruin my peace and end this silent treatment. "Honna, you have a letter," Zuko tells me bringing me a letter, but when I stared at it I realized it wasn't from my sister. I looked up to ask Zuko where the letter came from but he was gone, I guess breaking the silent treatment was only temporary. I unrolled the letter and immediately looked to the bottom to find a name, Zuko, Zuko wrote me a letter.

'Honna,

 I know what I did was wrong, but you can be so stupidly stubborn sometimes. I felt that I had no choice. If I was put in the situation again I'd make the same choices, when you were hurt I was terrified that you wouldn't wake up. I want you to know that I will never hurt you, but I will always protect you even if I have to protect you from yourself.

                                                        Love, Zuko

I read the words with a sigh of overwhelming frustration. I toss it onto my desk and read it again, and I think of Zuko. He'd always be callous and careless but now maybe this is a glimpse of a motive. Me, he would be stupid and rude but only if he believed it held my best interest. I go to Zuko's room and knock, I can hear it open and when I see him I give him a small smile. "Apology accepted,"