Letters

When we return to the ship Zuko and I begin sending hawks out to any and all communication centers. I want to know where the Avatar is at any moment if he moves we need to continue on his path. Luck strikes perfectly and a hawk brings us two different messages, one seems to be from my sister, and the other is an intelligence report. An earthbender prisoner ship has reported seeing a flying bison, and a few talks about rebelling has broken out among the prisoners. 

"Zuko, look at this, I think the Avatar is at sea," I tell him trying to compel him to change our course. "I'll inform the captain. You can go ahead and respond back to your sister. I noticed her insignia on the second letter," he tells me leaving me alone, holding the letter makes me remember why I need to capture the Avatar. 

'Honna

           Mom and I miss you so much already! Commander Zhao is hot on the Avatar's trail, but mom and I are rooting for you! We can't do much to distract him but we sometimes are late when returning to port. How are you and Prince Zuko? You seemed to be a lot closer than you intended on sharing. Mom also wanted to know if you two do get married before returning to the Fire Nation if you could send coordinates so that we could attend. I hope you will have a traditional Fire Nation wedding, but either way, we want to be there! We love you and hope you are well, capture the Avatar so we can all get home.

                                             yours, Zulma'

The letter is short and sweet, but every word fills me with joy. I immediately go to write out my response,

' Zulma,

              I miss you both so much as well and hope things have been good. Thank you for everything you do to assist us in our search, but Commander Zhao doesn't know who he's up against. Prince Zuko and I have plenty of tricks up our sleeves when it comes to capturing the Avatar, we underestimated him once, but next time we'll be ready. Our wedding is not been discussed, but when it is you know you'll be one of the first to know. As for Prince Zuko and I's relationship, complicated is the only word I have. He is my friend though and I say that with confidence. Give mom a hug for me and I'm sending my love, stay safe and I'll get us home soon!

                                             yours, Honna'

After finishing the letter I feel a fresh pain surge through me, it was different before seeing them. I feel tears trickle down one cheek as I stare at my response letter. "Is your family doing good?" I hear Zuko ask from behind me and I quickly bring my hand up to wipe away the tears. I nod "They're good, more concerned about our wedding than we are," I tell him letting a laugh trickle in, but my voice is shaky from the emotions being bottled up. "It's okay to miss them," Zuko tells me placing a hand on my shoulder and I feel drawn to a memory. When Ursa first disappeared and Zuko was so lost and confused, I told him the same thing. He kissed me then when we were children and things weren't so messy. 

I look up and him his amber eyes boring into mine, and I wonder whay he's thinking. I stand and hug him "thank you for understanding. I just can't wait until we're home and I can bring them to the palace," I tell him pulling away from his warm embrace. Zuko tucks a piece of hair behind my ear "I promise that I will give you the best life, as soon as we're home," and I believe him.