10

" this baby has the
best mother "

Kuroo woke up in the middle of the night for the washroom. Sleepily blinking, he yawned before leaving the room. The lights of the kitchen lit up the hallway. His eyes blinked open in confusion. He went to the room, only to find Y/N making tea.

The sound of footsteps made her look up at him. She sheepishly smiled and poured the tea in a cup. Kuroo stood beside her, watching her silently. He was still sleepy.

"What happened?"

He mumbled and leaned against the counter. His gaze was fixed on her subconsciously. Y/N looked up only to see his softened expression. In a second, her eyes went back for the cup, and her cheeks reddened.

Her eyes widened as she felt his hands cupping her face. He leaned down with narrowed eyes, looking at her suspiciously. She gulped and placed her warm hands on his cold wrists.

"Why were you crying?"

Her eyes widened, and she averted her gaze sideways. A nervous smile crept on her face. His thumb caressed her cheeks as he stared into her pinkish eyes.

"Wha-what? I wasn't crying."

"You were. Your eyes are red. What happened? Did someone say something? Are you okay?"

He rambled in concern, making her eyes glossy, but she immediately rubbed them.

"Ah-it's nothing. I couldn't sleep at all. That's why."

"Y/N, don't lie. I can tell easily that something's bothering you. Want to share?"

She chewed on her lips. The concern in his eyes made her sigh as the glossiness returned in her eyes. She lightly held his wrist before speaking. Her voice was barely above a whisper.

"I.. I just feel overwhelmed. All this time, after meeting you again, I genuinely felt happy about this. But today, I don't know why. I feel like crying. I don't know if I'll be able to raise my baby well. Society is so cruel, Kuroo. They look down upon an unmarried mother. I am scared. I want to give my child the best life. But these thoughts scare me. How will I tell my child about the father when the time comes? I try to be strong, but I am afraid. It's too much. I am happy for this baby. But somewhere in my heart, I question if I am even fit to be a mother -"

She stopped when she heard him sigh. He shook his head and smiled at her. His thumbs wiped away the tears that were streaming down on her cheeks.

"There you go overthinking again, Y/N."

She blinked away her tears and gave him a small smile.

"I can't help it, Kuroo."

He let go of her face after wiping her tears and held her hands.

"Y/N. You're the strongest person I know other than my sister. You handled the burden of your family after your father's passing away. We weren't in touch during that time, but I knew that you were working hard. There's no need to be scared of anyone. I know you love this child and will give him the best life possible. This baby,"

The back of his hand gently grazed her baby bump before going back to her hand.

"Has the best mother. And don't doubt yourself. You reduced your working hours and changed your place to avoid any mis-happening. If this isn't a sign that you'll be a good mother, then I don't know what is. And the question of the father, we'll cross the bridge when we come to it."

And there it goes. Her heart warmed at his supportive words. She smiled and wiped her tears. Her glossy eyes widened as he brought her into a warm, comforting hug.

She rested her forehead against his chest while her arms were wrapped around his waist. His chin rested on her head, and his hand caressed her back.

"Don't overthink again, Y/N. Okay? Don't be shy to speak to me. Just like how we used to back then."

His chest vibrated with his words. She hummed and nodded while still leaning against him.

Y/N woke up to the flavoured aroma. Her eyes darted to the clock only to find it was 6 in the morning. She yawned and rubbed her eyes. Groggily, she made her way to the washroom to freshen up.

Kuroo was busy making tea for her and brewing coffee for himself. Usually, she would make breakfast, but that day, he decided to help her, given she would be tired after the last night.

His ears perked up at the sound of light footsteps from the hallway. She tiredly entered the kitchen only to find most of the breakfast already on the table.

"Good morning, Y/N."

She stared at him as he washed his hands and placed her tea on the table. She smiled at him and took the cup.

"Morning Kuroo."

Kuroo extended a plate of sandwich towards her. She scrunched her nose and shook her head. He deadpanned and gave her a stern look.

"You need to eat, Y/N."

"I don't want to."

She whined before giving up and muched on the sandwich. Kuroo flashed a satisfied smile and went back to his coffee.

"Why did you make it today? I could've cooked."

"You needed a break, okay? And it's not like I am doing it for the first time. You have already spoiled me a lot after coming here. Let me spoil you this once."

He patted her head before going to his room to get ready for work. She stared at the tea in her hand. Kuroo was still the same. She was grateful to that.

"Did you sleep well?"

He appeared behind her. She noticed that he wasn't wearing a coat this time. His waistcoat hugged his torso, and the sleeves of the shirt were folded neatly. She smiled and gave an appreciative smile.

He was checking his phone when he noticed her staring at his hair. Getting conscious of his hair, he raked his fingers through them. This made her laugh a bit.

"Bend down. You got a thread in your hair."

"Oh."

He slightly bent to her level, and she took the thread out. His hazel eyes widened as she gently raked her fingers to comb them again. The tips of his ears reddened, and he coughed before turning away.

"Kuroo.."

She spoke with a soft voice. He gained his composure and looked at her only to see her smile, thankfully.

"Thank you for being here for me."

He patted her head and flashed his infamous grin.

"Anything for you."